rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dartman

While not a pen kit but does anyone know who had ring kits?All i could find were comfort rings where the metal ring goes inside the wood.The kit I'm
looking for had the metal in two pieces and sandwiched the wood so you see the ring with the wood around the center.I saw them and watched a video
of the making of one. Anybody have a clue for me......lol

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fuzzy63

Try Woodturners.catlog. They have a lot of different rings and fixtures to make them easy to turn. Just put rings in there search. It's easier to find them. I have ordered from them before and I really like there quality and fast shipping.

RobS

I have bought from Ring Supplies multiple times, and I love their JDG mandrel and their soft jaws that work for the nova chuck.

here is the 2 part cores:

these guys totally focus on ring making, and they also have a slick JDG mandrel:

they also have awesome soft jaws for the nova chuck i use if inside polishing

They also have the boring kit:

dogcatcher

Look at the 2 links for making the Carter Tools ring mandrel. The key to it's operation is the Delrin split ring that expands as you tighten the hex head screw. An expanding mandrel. This set up can be duplicated using a hardwood like maple or Osage orange. But can also be duplicated simply by sawing cuts in the Delrin ring with 4 saw cuts like on a collet on both sides. The 8 splits, if equal will allow the Delrin to expand equally by pressing on both sides using dead centers.

A Universal Expanding Ring Mandrel for the Lathe (cartertools.com)
A Universal Expanding Ring Mandrel Part Two (cartertools.com)

You will need to make the Delrin rings in multiple sizes, because there is a limit as to how much you can expand each size. I never made the kit rings, but when I was making wood rings, I would make a Delrin "ring collet" then make the ring. Making the "collet" fit the bore size of the ring, I would only need minimal expansion.

There are also other ways to get by without these fancy and expansive mandrels.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We have a few of them, Mark. Not on the site yet but send me an email if you want one and we can make it happen.

reddwil

Couple things. You can find cores on Etsy that come in different colors like black and blue. the color will polish off if extreme care is not taken. If nothing else there cheap and good to practice on. Buy the cores from one of the vendors mentioned above. you can't go wrong. I found some solid brass cores on Ebay that work perfect to. They look really good with certian woods and acrylics if your going for a rustic look. They can also be polished.

CSUSA sells bushings that you can use on your pen mandrel. They work fine for me but over time they will wear down. I now make my own using a 3D printer. The expandable ring mandrels work fine as well if you have a chuck.

RunnerVince

I figured maybe someone here could answer this one for me: Does anyone know the difference between the JDG cores and the artisan comfort cores from Craft Supplies USA (woodturnerscatalog.com)? The JDG ones say they're used for "high-end jewelry," but at the end of the day it's stainless steel. The comfort rings have a comfort fit, come with a great polish, and re-polish beautifully if you accidently hit the core with your sandpaper or scratch it while removing glue squeeze-out. Depending on the size, we're talking anywhere from $6-$10 difference. I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Top Bottom