Cheer Rick Herrell - Christmas in February!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

I know that this will come as no surprise to all of you that have purchased/commissioned tools from Rick Herrell ( @rherrell ), but I feel like the service that Rick provides for us and our community is tremendous and deserves as many shout outs as possible!

I may have gone a bit overboard, but hey, as Rick has in his signature...

"The pain of using a cheap tool lingers long after the joy of saving money has passed"

Back in November I ordered a Tailstock/Banjo Clamp, a Tool Post Stop Collar and Dedicated Dial Indicator Post, all were packaged securely and shipped quickly. Top quality stuff. I was hooked.

Then earlier this month I jumped in with both feet, Custom Mandrels for kitless pens, Nib Section Step Drills, Tool Rests, ER32 Sliding tap/die holder and some custom ends for 1/2" x 13 TPI threaded rod to make @TonyL 's 4 Stage DIY Buffing System. These include a 2MT end for the headstock and a female 60 degree for the tailstock end to accept a live center.

Here is a picture of all my new toys. If you haven't given Rick a try... Just Do It, you will wonder why you waited!

rherrell tools 02.2024.jpeg

Thanks Rick!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

They don't make that in China! Rick's a craftsman of the highest caliber. I own doubles and triples of his tools.

KMCloonan

Rick is awesome. He doesn't just make lathe tooling. I had a Fletcher Glass cutter (for picture framing) - they no longer make the parts for it - It's about 45 years old. I needed a cutter head for the glass cutter - I took some photos of the part, made a sketch, then sent Rick the actual part - he fabricated a new one that looked 10 times better than the original - and Rick's price was really great. I was quite happy.

The original cutter head is the top piece in all the photos. Rick's is the bottom piece.

New Cutter1.jpg New Cutter2.jpg New Cutter4.jpg New Cutter5.jpg

its_virgil

I have the sliding tap and die holder and love it. I do not use the Niles one any longer or the other two I have. Taps and dies held in a collet chuck is the best way in my opinion. I also have the step drills for the drilling the section for the nib units...game changer. And, I have a set of mandrels. These tools are worth ever $ spent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

7964Jy

I know that this will come as no surprise to all of you that have purchased/commissioned tools from Rick Herrell ( @rherrell ), but I feel like the service that Rick provides for us and our community is tremendous and deserves as many shout outs as possible!

I may have gone a bit overboard, but hey, as Rick has in his signature...

"The pain of using a cheap tool lingers long after the joy of saving money has passed"

Back in November I ordered a Tailstock/Banjo Clamp, a Tool Post Stop Collar and Dedicated Dial Indicator Post, all were packaged securely and shipped quickly. Top quality stuff. I was hooked.

Then earlier this month I jumped in with both feet, Custom Mandrels for kitless pens, Nib Section Step Drills, Tool Rests, ER32 Sliding tap/die holder and some custom ends for 1/2" x 13 TPI threaded rod to make @TonyL 's 4 Stage DIY Buffing System. These include a 2MT end for the headstock and a female 60 degree for the tailstock end to accept a live center.

Here is a picture of all my new toys. If you haven't given Rick a try... Just Do It, you will wonder why you waited!

View attachment 368373

Thanks Rick!
I am fairly new, what is the tailstock/banjo clamp and what is its purpose?

d_bondi

I am fairly new, what is the tailstock/banjo clamp and what is its purpose?

Most lathes are shipped with a stepped washer (round) for securing the tailstock. When you move the lock lever, it pulls this stepped washer up against the underside of the ways or bed. The one Rick makes replaces that and is rectangular and is made with more precision, in fact he makes them to fit your lathe. The main thing this does is allow you to really lock down the tailstock so it won't budge. The other thing that many have reported is that they feel it takes some of the play out of the tailstock. Hope that helps.

d_bondi

I have the sliding tap and die holder and love it. I do not use the Niles one any longer or the other two I have. Taps and dies held in a collet chuck is the best way in my opinion. I also have the step drills for the drilling the section for the nib units...game changer. And, I have a set of mandrels. These tools are worth ever $ spent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Glad to hear you are happy with them. I also have the Niles Niche setup and it is fine, but the tap holders for it just don't do it for me. No matter what I do, there is play in the tap.

Can wait to get some shop time to play with the new toys!

Top Bottom