rherrell Tool Post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I needed a new tool rest for the new Rikon lathe, longer than the stock rest that came with it. Rick Herrell was the man to call on.
Very nice. Smooth and the tools glide right over it. 9" length. Thanks Rick!
Tool Post.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks all. My old lathe used a 5/8" post, and I bought two tool rests from Rick for that lathe. One of which was a 2" rest for turning FP sections. They both worked great. If I get a hankering to make another section, I may have to see if Rick can make one for the 1" post this one has.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Love all the shavings Chuck. I really hope the new tool rest works great and I'm looking forward to some very near future work! Keep us all posted on your new adventure.
Thanks Tom. I'm still getting orders for the Hummingbird Houses, which require a 6" blank. So this tool rest allows me to turn the length of the blank without have to move the tool rest. It's great, and the price is reasonable.

RobS

Thanks all. My old lathe used a 5/8" post, and I bought two tool rests from Rick for that lathe. One of which was a 2" rest for turning FP sections. They both worked great. If I get a hankering to make another section, I may have to see if Rick can make one for the 1" post this one has.
I had Rick make me a converter to drop into the tool post to go from 5/8 to 1". It was extremely cost effective.

I already had 6 of his, plus 2 others, so the adapter made sense for pen turning, and I had him also make 2 in the 1" diameter.

Here is the link for the handle I used with it: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSCDJ8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• adapter - REV 4.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4531.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4532.jpg
    IMG_4532.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4533.jpg
    IMG_4533.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4534.jpg
    IMG_4534.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 88

walshjp17

I had Rick make me a converter to drop into the tool post to go from 5/8 to 1". It was extremely cost effective.

I already had 6 of his, plus 2 others, so the adapter made sense for pen turning, and I had him also make 2 in the 1" diameter.

Here is the link for the handle I used with it: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSCDJ8G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Which lathe is that? It appears to be either a PM 3520C or a PM 1420. Both have 1" tool rest post hole. My 1420, however, has the redesigned tool rest latching mechanism which means a standard reducer insert ( to allow use of all my 5/8" tool rests) will not work as there is no way to clamp on the tool rest's post. Your design with the stop collar might just do the trick.

RobS

Which lathe is that? It appears to be either a PM 3520C or a PM 1420. Both have 1" tool rest post hole. My 1420, however, has the redesigned tool rest latching mechanism which means a standard reducer insert ( to allow use of all my 5/8" tool rests) will not work as there is no way to clamp on the tool rest's post. Your design with the stop collar might just do the trick.
It's the PM1420, the adapter I designed allows the tool post pinch mechanism to grab hold of the adapter base and the handle allows for you lock the 5/8 in place.

The flat on the 1" shaft is not needed for the pm1420 but is there for use on other lathes that have a standard tool post lock.

Rick did an amazing job bringing this baby to life.

Top Bottom