Resin mixing cups

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

You will get numerous answers based on how much resin people are mixing at one time and the type of resin they are using. You can use any plastic container with a recycling code #5.... plastic cups, kitchen mixing bowls or cups, paint mixing cups, silicone cups and containers, paper cups for smaller pours, and so on. If your using PR you do t have to mix as aggressively so you can use containers that are slightly larger than the amount of resin. If your mixing urethane or epoxy resins you will want a container a bit larger so you don't slop it out of the container as you mix. I mix urethane resin with an electric drill so it can be a bit messy if the container is small. I use clear plastic cups from Kroger (recycle code #5) to measure sides A and B and then pour them in a kitchen mixing cup/bowl with a pouring spout to mix and pour from. For smaller pours I just use the plastic 18oz cups.

ccccchunt

The type of cup will largely depend on your project. For larger pours, like multi blank mold pours, I use the 16 oz clear solo cups. I got a pack of 250 of them on Amazon for a good price. It will also depend on what type of resin you are using. I use Alumilite Clear Slow so it is mixed by weight. The solo cups fit nicely on my scale and allow for exact weighing of the 2 parts. It also really depends on whether or not you are doing a multi color pour. For multi color pours, I tend to use smaller cups to reduce waste. For multi color, I mix my total weight in a larger cup and then pour into small paper cups that I can crimp to pour all the colors at the same time.

Kenny Durrant

I'll add my 2 cents. The key is the recycle #5. If it's not made of the right kind of plastic the resin will melt the cup. Other than that it's just a preference on what you like. I like the clear cups because I can see the swirls as I'm mixing. I guess I like the feeling that I can see what I'm doing. I buy two different sizes at Walmart. I don't mix a huge amount because I only cast a few blanks at a time so I don't have a need for large mixing containers.

Wade3574

Thanks for the replies. I am using alumilite clear slow and have used the paint mixing cups but am going to try the clear plastic cups from grocery. They should be a bit more economical.

Jans husband

Have you tried the plastic tubs which contain pasta sauce --after a wash in the dishwasher of course?
FREE
They are only 3" tall with a wide neck for easy mixing, and hold more than enough for a number of castings
Mike

Attachments

• tempImagerYzw8o.png
    tempImagerYzw8o.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 134

JohnU

Like Mike posted above, there are a lot of repurposed containers that work well for resin. I use many for molds as well. .. cottage cheese, dip and yogurt containers, jello cups, prescriptions bottles, and more. Just watch the recycling code in the triangle on the bottom. #5 and #1 will work. Stay away from anything that is #6 or the resin will melt the container as you mix it.

jttheclockman

My experience is different because I do not use alumilite but use epoxy and Silmar resins and never ever have I seen the resin get so warm it melts the cup because if it did that then it kicked and you are too late to pour. Again just MY experience. The thing I need to watch for is that I warm the Silmar41 resin before I add the catalyst to make it thinner and it disapates the bubbles better. Now this can cause the cup to melt even though I put in oven for about 5 minutes on 125. I use a all sorts of cups and color does not matter to me. But #5 is a good code for this also.

ccccchunt

Thanks for the replies. I am using alumilite clear slow and have used the paint mixing cups but am going to try the clear plastic cups from grocery. They should be a bit more economical.
Yes, depending on which paint mixing cups you buy, the markings for the 1:1 are not very accurate. PLUS clear slow needs to be 1:1 by weight. I have 9 oz, 16 oz and 20 oz cheap plastic cups that I get from the dollar store for most of my pours.

Top Bottom