Resin - Do I need a Catalyst?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scjohnson243

Morning all - I was reading a penmaking book last night and my wife mentioned she would love to try to make a few blanks with "pretty colors" - thinking that I may get some free blanks out of this, I thought it was a brilliant idea... I read in the library and someone linked to this resin from Michaels (Which I happen to have a 40% off cupon for, so wee)

Resin

Do I need to buy a catalyst for that? or anything else other than the coloring? If I *DO* need one, could someone be so kind as providing a link if so?

My initial plan was to create a mold using aluminum foil and just use the lathe and "Cut off" the aluminum once its hardened all the way....

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Morning all - I was reading a penmaking book last night and my wife mentioned she would love to try to make a few blanks with "pretty colors" - thinking that I may get some free blanks out of this, I thought it was a brilliant idea... I read in the library and someone linked to this resin from Michaels (Which I happen to have a 40% off cupon for, so wee)

Resin

Do I need to buy a catalyst for that? or anything else other than the coloring? If I *DO* need one, could someone be so kind as providing a link if so?

My initial plan was to create a mold using aluminum foil and just use the lathe and "Cut off" the aluminum once its hardened all the way....

Thanks!

Yes, you need a catalyst for your resin !! When you buy a PR from Michael's it should have a plastic cap on the can with the catalyst included. Last week I bought 2 cans of the resin from Michael's without the catalyst included. I asked if they had the catalyst, and they did not. The cans looked faded so I also asked if the product was new since they just opened the new store. Shoulder shrug!! One can I destroyed just trying to get the cap off, the other can wouldn't even pour out of the can. I returned the cans to the store and received a refund. I also checked the other 6 cans on the shelf and pointed out to the sales clerk that the cans had solidified and were not fit to sell. On checking the code date, I found the product to be from 2012. Several days later my wife and I were in the store again, and the same 6 cans were still on the shelf and no catalyst !!!! I went to Hobby Lobby and bought fresh resin. When I asked about the new cans with the catalyst included, they said they had not received the old style cans for over three years. Moral of the story, shake the can, if it doesn't sound like a liquid, don't buy it !! Jim S

nativewooder

Above all, please read the directions carefully! And pay attention to any safety precautions. Most, but not all, retailers will sell the resin as a kit with the proper amount of catalyst. Happy learning to cast successfully!!!

Top Bottom