Resin blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Twojugs

As a complete novice, could you confirm that when turners refer to "acrylic" blanks, they actually mean cast epoxy? I have done some epoxy casting, but keep seeing reference to acrylic? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I think most commonly …. acrylic would be the commercial made "acrylic" blanks but it really all depends on the individual posting. Custom casts from individuals could be made out of epoxy, polyester, or urethane resins. They are usually called by the resin or brand used to make them like Silmar or Alumilite. It all depends on the blank. Some resins work better for certain casts than others. You'll get the hang of it eventually, after hanging out here a while.

Acrylic has kind of become a generic turn for blanks people cast whether is it hybrid (wood with a resin) or pure resin. The resins are typically either polyurethane based or epoxy. Some variation within that but that is a very simplified answer.

I do not recommend attempting acrylic blanks until you are more experienced and comfortable turning. You need carbide tools for that primarily and they can chip out and break if your not careful. Don't rush into it, you will get to them in due time.

MRDucks2

As John stated, and is well documented on this site, true "Acrylic" is a commercial made product that none is ping to cast themselves. There are few Acrylic blanks out there but not many. WoodTurningz used to sell some in a multicolor layered look.

WoodTurningz also sells Inlace Acrylester blanks sometimes referred to as IA or Acrylester. These are Acrylic but a very hard set Polyester Resin similar to Rhino Blanks and one other I forget the name of. They are chip prone while machining which can be made better by either better technique or certain tools.

As Markus noted, a lot of blanks are called "acrylic" that are not, regardless of what they are made of. Real Acrylic actually turns/machines pretty nicely but is more difficult to polish. Inlace Acrylester or Acrylester only comes from WoodTurningz, is not Acrylic and polishes beautifully.

A general reference to acrylic blanks will most often mean any plastic blank except Acrylic and is misleading.

its_virgil

Acrylic is not a generic term for any and all resins. Just saying. Acrylic is a specific type of resin and because of the equipment needed casting acrylic in our shops is not feasible. Unfortunately (my opinion), the word has evolved to mean any and all plastic resins. Other words have evolved also: coke often means any soft drink, Q-tip often means any cotton swab, etc.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

I do not recommend attempting acrylic blanks until you are more experienced and comfortable turning. You need carbide tools for that primarily and they can chip out and break if your not careful. Don't rush into it, you will get to them in due time.
I've have turned pens since 2000 and have turned about every plastic blank available from those purchased from vendors, home casters, and those I cast myself. I use a skew to turn everything no matter what the material. I have never seen a need to use carbide tools for any of them. Not trying to start an argument, not trying to change your mind but just offering my opinion. Having fun is the bigger objective.
Do a goo turn daily!
Don

RobS

Acrylic is not a generic term for any and all resins. Just saying. Acrylic is a specific type of resin and because of the equipment needed casting acrylic in our shops is not feasible. Unfortunately (my opinion), the word has evolved to mean any and all plastic resins. Other words have evolved also: coke often means any soft drink, Q-tip often means any cotton swab, etc.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
I agree. I would not go as far to say as it has evolved, I would say misuse of the term keeps occurring, and in most cases, as you read various threads, you will see an entry where someone has provided the correction.

The correct practice is that Acrylic = acrylic

We do not call Stainless Steel Aluminum, or Aluminum silver, just because they are white metals. Each its own very specific properties.

Acrylic can not be used to refer to polyester or alumilite clear or clear slow (polyurethane). Because if someone generalizes the term, then we can not provide any of you proper guidance on your problems or techniques. There are special needs for each material.

Polyester stinks god awful, and works best with a negative rake for beginners, and blind drilling works best to prevent chip out, but shine gloriously when polished.

Acrylic can be hard as heck, shines beautifully (not as much as polyester but way better and easier than alumilite) and can be turned by several tools for beginners. But!!!!! If you let the drill over heat you could fuse the drill bit with the swarf in the hole.

Alumilite clear or clear slow, have one heck of an impact rating, is easier to drill than acrylic, but takes way more work to get it to a glass polish.

Term definition is critically important when discussing classifications of materials. Please do not contribute to its misuse.

MRDucks2

I have to wonder if the Inlace Acrylester product may have contributed to the problem. I do not recall who developed, but I know the formula and trade name were acquired by WoodTurningz. I also know they ship and sell it all over.

In stores I have seen it referred to as just Acrylester. I can also see someone presuming this means Acrylic then referring to as such. Kind of like "God Be With You" morphing into "Goodbye" over time.

I inadvertently started turning the Inlace Acrylester product as my first resin blanks so presumed all resin would be similar. Tool was a Harbor Freight skew. Taught be how to "ride the bevel" sincerely. But, I am also flexible. I still finish one with a skew but I round it off with a negative rake carbide.

its_virgil

I have to wonder if the Inlace Acrylester product may have contributed to the problem. I do not recall who developed, but I know the formula and trade name were acquired by WoodTurningz. I also know they ship and sell it all over.
This was posted in 2009 by Charles Grage aka Glass Scratcher (IAP user name). He has not posted since 2011 but had lots of excellent information while he was active:
Inlace Acrylester is a product name. The PR it is made from is PolyLite 32153 (there are at least 100 different formulations) manufactured by Reichhold. It does not have the same elasticity or machinability of S41 (Silmar 41) IMHO.

The primary benefit of Polylite over S41, is that it is designed to be loaded to 50%-70% filler(pigments and additives).

This link has the Acylester MSDS on it. The MSDS tells the chemical manufacturer, and chemical
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=146-669&gclid=CJ3fkMf55JgCFQpgswodmQ9ncw

Reichhold polylite page. Which will also lead you to the same MSDS.
https://www.reichhold.com/en/composites-products.aspx?cat=Brands&pid=13

Do a good turn daily!
Don

egnald

The English language is full of examples where words such as acrylic have been blurred or have become genericized versions. In this case I think acrylic means a material that was made up of acrylates or polymers of acrylic acid. I usually use the word "plastic" instead.

Here are a few commercial ones that we all seem to use:

Linoleum - probably the first, in 1878 (Frederick Walton lost a law suit for trademark infringement)
Aspirin - Trademark owned by Bayer (genericized to mean any acetylsalicylic acid)
Zipper - Trademark of B.F. Goodrich (originally for the closure they used in their rubber boots).
Trampoline - Trademark of Griswold-Nissen Trampoline & Tumbling Company
Yo-Yo - Trademark of Papa's Toy Company.
Escalator - Trademark of Otis Elevator Company
Flip Phone - Trademark of Motorola
Dumpster - Trademark of Dempster Brothers, Inc.
Styrofoam - Dow Chemical (polystyrene foam)
Allen wrench - Apex Tool Group (hex key)
Scotch tape - 3M (clear adhesive tape)
Ziplock - S.C. Johnson (any zip top closure bag)
Crock Pot - Sunbeam Products (slow cooker)
Bobcat - Bobcat Company (skid loader)
Kleenex (of course) - Kimberly Clark (facial tissue)

Dave

Top Bottom