request custom parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Hi Rick,

I bought a die holder, the type that slides on a shaft which ends in a Morse Taper so I can put it in the tailstock while threading a workpiece held at the headstock in a collet chuck. Great in principle, but they got a couple of fundamental design issues wrong - the biggest one for me is the set screws are in the wrong positions.

As you can see in the photos, they put the one set screw at 0 degrees, one at -45 degrees, and one at +45 degrees. My dies all have dimples to receive the set screws at 0, -90 and +90 degrees.

The other thing in the photos is an adapter for a larger diameter die, which made me think perhaps you could make something similar for 1" dies but with the lock screws in the correct placement, and a 1" spigot that fits this die holder.

If this is something you'd be willing to take on, please ask me whatever you need to know in order to get a price estimate for the part(s). I'd probably be looking to buy 4 or 5 of them, so I can leave my dies permanently mounted and just swap out the adapters when I need to cut different threads.

Thanks!
die holder 1.jpegdie holder 2.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Richard92

Interest really on this. I thought all cutting does were 0/45/45 I was in engineering for 20 year UK that is. Never seen any that are like yours. Like to see a picture please.

rherrell

Have you seen this...

I have three of them and it's the one I recommend to all my customers.

They have screws 90 degrees apart, never seen one like yours before, must be European.

I have some 1.5" die holder adapters that fit a 1" die, scroll down until you find it...

I can put some new screw holes in the die holders you have if you send them to me.

duncsuss

Interest really on this. I thought all cutting does were 0/45/45 I was in engineering for 20 year UK that is. Never seen any that are like yours. Like to see a picture please.

The two arrows from letter "A" are point to the dimples to receive set screws. They are 180 degrees across the die from each other.

Letter "B" arrow points to the adjustment screw which allows you to open the split die up to fine tune the diameter it cuts.

dies.jpeg

duncsuss

Thanks Rick - yes, it sounds like a European/American thing. Apart from this, the sliding holder I got looks to be very similar to the one you linked from the Little Machine Shop.
I have some 1.5" die holder adapters that fit a 1" die, scroll down until you find it...
Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, but I wanted them to hold a 1" die (as well as fit into my 1" die holder) so not really "adapting" anything.
I can put some new screw holes in the die holders you have if you send them to me.
Thanks - that would fix the immediate problem. I'd still like a couple of 1" diameter (not-)adapters if you could make them.

duncsuss

Interesting only ever seen and used split does with the 45° dimples and one that goes were the split is.
Thanks
And thanks for asking about it - the holder came from India, so it's not surprising it was made to British standard design. I just looked through the dies I've accumulated, I found one which has 2 dimples at 90 degrees, and a groove at the 45 position in between them. It isn't a split die, this groove running front/back is where the split would be if it were split.

Top Bottom