Replacing Laguna 1524 motor...cable feedthrough port problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Hello all. My Laguna 1524 lathe started having some problems last week...losing power, RPM dropouts, which rapidly became fairly severed. Laguna sent out a replacement motor, and I've been trying to disconnect the old one. I photographed all the connections in the control box, then disconnected a simple 3-pin control cable, and a white, black and green power connection to the motor.

I've now run into a snag...the control box feeds the cables through these little black plastic ports. They are round, but, the design of them seems to be more of a horseshoe shape, with a clip that fits in the opening at the "bottom" of the "horseshoe". These seem to be pretty darned optimally matched to the cable sizes, so there is just no give, and I cannot seem to get them out...

Does anyone have any tips as to how to get these out?

Cable Ports-1.jpg

Cable Ports-2.jpg

Or are they something you use once and replace? Is there a more user-friendly alternative to this kind of port, if they need to be replaced? (For that matter, what the heck are these called? :p I've been searching for half an hour and cannot figure out what these are called so I can search google properly...)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You should be able to grasp the underside of the strain relief clamp with a pair of pliers and squeeze it in enough to push it back up through the hole. Once that is done the clamp will open and release the cable.
You may be able to reuse them when installing the new motor. If not you can get new ones at your local hardware store. The big box stores would probably have them too but good luck getting any help to find them.

Top Bottom