Remove bark before stabilization?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larrystephens

I am going to stabilize and cast these blanks, they have some bark, should I clear that out before i stabalize?

Attachments

• 6E506E39-65FD-4094-9049-B930089D17F6.jpeg
    6E506E39-65FD-4094-9049-B930089D17F6.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 75
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I would if it comes off easily. The bark would absorb the stabilizing resin, which is ok if you are planning to include the bark portion in your turnings. If you plan to trim off the bark before or during turning, then it's a waste of resin. Also, I have learned that bark can darken the resin with tannins, which is not a really big deal, but it can darken the next wood you immerse in the resin.

JohnU

Along with what Kevin posted above… if the bark is loose, even after being cast in resin, it can increase your chances of a blowout later during turning.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I would try it on some just to see what it does. There are times, situations or some old stabilizers that will change the tone of wood though leaching. Most commercial stabilizers don't do that now.

TDahl

I have stabilized and turned redwood burl with the bark attached. The first pen i tried to turn was a closed end pen which was not reinforce with a brass tube. The blank broke along the bark line during turning. The second pen did have a brass tube supporting the blank through the entire length of the blank. I turned the blank slowly and reinforce the bark several times with thin CA. The second pen turner out nicely.

Top Bottom