Remodel Workshop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I am remodeling my workshop including a new work bench. The countertop will be mounted to a 2x4 frame. I am toying around with hinging at least part of the countertop creating a small storage space beneath it. Has anyone tried this? If I try this what would be the best type of hinge to use?

Seven

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

This is just my opinion but I like a secure and a olid work top. I would think hinging it would leave it very loose feeling hollow /not solid. Besides, my back would never hold up to leaning in and down for storage items. I would rather have a door on the lower front to open. It would easier to find things, at least with my organization skills.

PenPal

Pianno Hinges are strong as and for what you proposed. If you change your mind simple slide bolts can act as reinforcement. If you propose to use the top to practice Irish Dancing well thats another consideration. Have fun. My experience tells me if there are any vacant spaces they attract like magnets anything and everything.

Peter.

jttheclockman

Why not make a shelf or a couple shelves under it and have that for storage. I have a shelf and store my not so often used tools under it. Have bench on wheels to be able to move around and get behind it for I have things hanging on peg board on a wall. I agree a solid top is best. You want sturdy and stable. I put a couple of tracks in mine to use for clamping. You can get many different style clamps that slide in those tracks. Ken likes to use that type track for his jigs.

Top Bottom