Regulations about wood harvesting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenbsp

It seems as though there are several persons in the IAP that harvest at least some of their own wood and burl. I'd be very interested in doing this on my own as well, but am unsure of laws and regulations regarding the harvesting of (presumably) fallen trees on public lands. Or do all you wood-hunters stick to private property? Any input would be appreciated. It would seem very fulfilling to go through the process of collecting, processing, turning, and finishing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Every area is different.

You need to check with the local government about trees on public lands. Some areas have times where harvesting wood is allowed.

100% of the "free" wood I get is from owners of private property and I ask permission before I take any wood. I always give something I turned from the wood to the owner as a thank you.

chigdon

You will have to check. You are typically going to be good with most woods in most places. Some areas like the Keys you need a permit to even pick up almost any fallen wood as most trees there are protected (similar to Sand Dunes). Other trees like Desert Ironwood and Bristlecone Pine have very strict regulations including dead fallen wood as well.

Dario

Yep requirements vary.

Private property are a lot easier to get permission to...and most of the time they are pre-cut too! Just load and haul.

Government, especially Federal property are totally different ballgame. I tried once and it took me a few weeks of phone calls to finally learn that I need an arborist license and a contract to collect dead wood along the highway. I had to deal with Public Works and TexDOT.

I also inquired if I can collect wood at our local dumps/transfer stations but they won't even let me in...something to do with liability in case something happen to me.

Chris' post about protected species is dead on.

airrat

Is that true with the desert ironwood if it is on your property? I have a guy that is going to give me a bunch from his privite land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom