Regarding Dario's topic "Australian NEWS"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I've moved Dario's topic on Australian NEWS out of public view.

Dario did ask for permission to post it and against my better judgement, I gave it to him. I'm sorry I did, and I apologize if it offended anyone. I want to be clear that I don't fault Dario for endorsing the piece, it's MY FAULT for agreeing to let him post it.

I broke my Golden Rule of detecting Internet Nonsense because I didn't go to Snopes to check this out. It's not total nonsense, but it's bits and pieces of various political situations which are spun hard to make a point. It's a great example of intolerant propaganda in the name of political gain.

You can read at the Snopes page on the subject; "...but the selectively-quoted excerpts of controversial material from different news stories create the misleading overall impression that Australia enacted a formal policy to force some Muslim groups out of the country."

So, although the story is pretty slanted, it's designed to rile people up. It's kind of sad that we respond so easily to junk like this.

I don't see how topics that polarize and divide us contribute in any positive way to getting to know each other, which is the stated purpose of "Casual Conversation."

I'm locking this. Comments, complaints, etc., to me via email.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom