Redwood Burl JG Platinum RB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fiferb

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiferb

Finally, it took me awhile to pick a blank from the box full I won in the SEP IAP raffle (GLOAT). I finished putting this together last night. I know the photography isn't the best. I took nearly 30 pictures last night trying to get it right and this was the best of the pictures. Comments and critiques always appreciated. Harrassment for winning the auction accepted.;)

20061011123210_Redwood%20Burl%20JG%20Platinum%20RB.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Nice! Fit and finish looks dead on. Great job!

I have to ask...dow did it turn? This is one of those that I "stabilized" with plexi-acetone. I am interested to hear details of your observation (good or bad). You can email it to me if you don't want to post.

There I am making you work for winning already LOL. [:p]

fiferb

Dario,
It turned very nicely. I started out with very light cuts because the blank was felt very light and fragile but after I got into I was cutting it like most other wood blanks.

For the box of blanks I got, the extra work is definitely worth it. Feel free to ask more.[:D]

gerryr

Nice looking pen, Bruce. The picture is a bit out of focus. What Travis said is correct, move the camera further away from the pen and then use your editing software to crop it. We expect to see more pens from that giant stash you won.[:D]

Skye

I've yet to turn a redwood burl that didnt blow out on me. Going to have to try it again. Nice work!

Dario

Thanks for the link Eagles. I was looking for that and can't find it...been using another free software the past few weeks and it is not as friendly.

Bruce, I would add Picasa2 to the must have free photo editing softwares too.

Skye, I've turned a few of these and never had problems with blowout yet (knock on wood). The part I don't like about redwood is that it is soft. That is why I tried stabilizing it. Never had a chance to work on any of the stabilized pieces yet though. [B)]

Draken

I received a piece of Redwood Burl from AZ as a freebie. Turned nice, and photos will be forth coming once the lacquer stage is finished. The odd part was the smell. It didn't smell like any of the other stabilized woods I've used from AZ, this smelled pretty bad. Any idea what was used to stabilize it? It also appears only the outter portion of the blank was stabilized, the core seemed pretty soft. And it was only 5/8".

Cheers,
Draken

SteveRoberts

I notice the threads at the capping end aren't delron/black but metal, I haven't seen that on the JG, is that unique to the Rhodium kit or something you did?

Steve

fiferb

Originally posted by SteveRoberts
<br />I notice the threads at the capping end aren't delron/black but metal, I haven't seen that on the JG, is that unique to the Rhodium kit or something you did?

Steve
Steve, They are metal but it's nothing I did. The kit came that way. I've only turned a few JG's and this is my first JG Rhodium RB so I'm not sure if this kit is different or not.

SteveRoberts

[/quote]
Steve, They are metal but it's nothing I did. The kit came that way. I've only turned a few JG's and this is my first JG Rhodium RB so I'm not sure if this kit is different or not.
[/quote]
Thanks, the pen looked great (not just the kit) and I wondered. Good work.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom