Red White & Blue Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

I finished this one up to this stage before I locked up the shed this afternoon. Some red white and blue chip resin I got in a blank swap a few years ago.
14mm double start threads for the cap, the section is 12/13mm diameter, pen is 140mm overall length. it has a #6 Jowo F fitted at the moment.

I don't have anymore of this material, so the cap will be made from something different.
I was thinking black Ebonite, but it could be a nice piece of timber, or even aluminium.
Waiting on inspiration. It will come.

DSC_0740.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Really, really nice! Reminds me of type of blanks Conway used in their pens. Really nice.
Thanks.
I really wish I had some more to make the cap, but I used the complete blank to make the pen, all that's left is some swarf under my lathe.

Ironwood

Beautiful pen, can't wait to see the finished cap!
Thanks mate.
I just got a message from Canada suggesting a White cap, must have been a bit of telepathy going on, as I was also thinking of a white cap. Will have to check my white blanks in the morning to see if I have something that's the same white as the chips in the pen blank.

Curly

Thanks mate.
I just got a message from Canada suggesting a White cap, must have been a bit of telepathy going on, as I was also thinking of a white cap. Will have to check my white blanks in the morning to see if I have something that's the same white as the chips in the pen blank.

Psst. That would be me. If you can't find a white a matching blue or red would also look great.

magpens

Great looking pen !! . Be sure to post again showing your choice of cap, PLEASE !

I rather like the fact that you made the section of the same material as the body.

Ironwood

Oh great saver of blanks the pen is mightier than a sword at expressing your shared love of design strength.

Ripper mate.

Kind regards Peter.
You've picked me like a nose there Peter, I been saving blanks for years ( šŸ˜‰ decades, when I come to think about it )
I almost used this one a few times, but glad I saved it for this pen I have been dreaming up for about a month now. It took much longer to dream it, than to actually make it.

Ironwood

Psst. That would be me. If you can't find a white a matching blue or red would also look great.
It was definitely you ol' mate. If only I could get a match on that blue, I think that would be the perfect combo. My casting skills are not up to it I'm afraid. The 4th element of the blank is clear, that binds the chips together, that's another option.

Ironwood

T
Great looking pen !! . Be sure to post again showing your choice of cap, PLEASE !

I rather like the fact that you made the section of the same material as the body.
Thanks Mal. There's definitely more to come. Cap first, then the clip I am working on in my mind.

Ironwood

I found a rod of similar whiteness in a drawer, so I have gone with that. Turned down to 16mm, which is as thin as I dare go with the 14mm thread.
The cap still needs to be sanded and polished, this is straight off the tool.
The section needs a polish as well, I had to take 1/2mm off the nib-end diameter as it was rubbing inside the cap.
I am going to try a new style of clip, if that doesn't work, it will get one the same as my previous pens. But that will have to wait at least a week now, work beckons.
DSC_0745.jpg

DSC_0747.jpg

Lucky2

Hello Brad, that is a beautiful pen, but I'm sorry to state. That in my personal opinion, the cap doesn't do a thing for the body. Oh yes, I'm sorry it does, it ruins the looks of what could have been a gorgeous pen. Once again, I'm sorry if you think this is a harsh statement mate, it's only my personal feelings on the plain white pen cap mated to a gorgeous pen body.

Len

Ironwood

Thanks for the honest feedback Len.
I agree the cap is too plain for the pen, I am hoping that with a clip fitted ,it might lift it enough. I will wait and see before making a new cap.

Lucky2

Thanks for the honest feedback Len.
I agree the cap is too plain for the pen, I am hoping that with a clip fitted ,it might lift it enough. I will wait and see before making a new cap.
Brad, you are more than welcome, I always try to be honest, when critiquing a pen or anything else. Those who are willing to accept a good critique, one where there's no punches pulled about things that I see that I don't about certain pens. No matter if, they are pleasing to the pen turner or not. Actually, I do it with most things that I'm into,after all, pieces are posted for a true critique aren't they? Well I don't see any sense in blowing smoke up someone's butt just to make them feel good.If I'm going to critique something, it will be a fair and honest one.I don't believe in saying that's a gorgeous pen, when there's issues as plain as your nose on it. How is that person supposed to improve, if all they ever get, is "nice pen" from everyone viewing it. The person won't, they will be lead to think that they have mastered it all that is involved in pen turning.That's part of the reason, that I would like to see a Critique section on the site. If you just want praise and "nice pen" replies, post your pen in the show your pen sec. For those that can actually take a critique, post your pens and pencils in the CRITIQUE section. Then they will know what to expect instead of the "nice Pen reply, they can expect an honest critiquing of their pens. Not anything mean or malicious, just an honest to goodness fair critiquing of their work. You can critique someone's work without being mean, I think I did a fair job critiquing your pen. And I apologized up front, just so that you would know that I wasn't just being mean. Plus, you never know how a person will take a criticism of their work, even if it is meant to help them out.Some people just can't be criticized, and I'm fine with that. It's not my problem, if they can't take some constructive criticism. They take anything negative being said about their pen, as a personal attack. Those people have a lot of growing up to do, and they should state that they will get angry with anything negative said about their pens.

Len

Ironwood

Brad, you are more than welcome, I always try to be honest, when critiquing a pen or anything else. Those who are willing to accept a good critique, one where there's no punches pulled about things that I see that I don't about certain pens. No matter if, they are pleasing to the pen turner or not. Actually, I do it with most things that I'm into,after all, pieces are posted for a true critique aren't they? Well I don't see any sense in blowing smoke up someone's butt just to make them feel good.If I'm going to critique something, it will be a fair and honest one.I don't believe in saying that's a gorgeous pen, when there's issues as plain as your nose on it. How is that person supposed to improve, if all they ever get, is "nice pen" from everyone viewing it. The person won't, they will be lead to think that they have mastered it all that is involved in pen turning.That's part of the reason, that I would like to see a Critique section on the site. If you just want praise and "nice pen" replies, post your pen in the show your pen sec. For those that can actually take a critique, post your pens and pencils in the CRITIQUE section. Then they will know what to expect instead of the "nice Pen reply, they can expect an honest critiquing of their pens. Not anything mean or malicious, just an honest to goodness fair critiquing of their work. You can critique someone's work without being mean, I think I did a fair job critiquing your pen. And I apologized up front, just so that you would know that I wasn't just being mean. Plus, you never know how a person will take a criticism of their work, even if it is meant to help them out.Some people just can't be criticized, and I'm fine with that. It's not my problem, if they can't take some constructive criticism. They take anything negative being said about their pen, as a personal attack. Those people have a lot of growing up to do, and they should state that they will get angry with anything negative said about their pens.

Len
I totally agree with what you are saying there Len. Constructive criticism should be taken in the spirit it was given, and used to your advantage to improve and grow.
I think a proper critique section could be a good thing if it was used correctly. It's not for everyone though, as you say, some people can't handle criticism, and some people can't give criticism.
On the Australian Woodwork Forums, Pen Forum , there was a critique section. It was used for a while, but soon gathered dust. I looked a few days ago, the last post in there was in 2014.

Top Bottom