See more from hokie

hokie

Some of the basics...

• Burl body and cap
  • Ebonite section
  • Delrin cap liner and threads
  • #6 Jowo nib
  • Triple lead threads

I like to showcase the beauty of the wood without too much bling. The next step is to work on clip making. Let me know your thoughts!

gYHZYKL.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hokie

What did you finish it with? It looks amazing. I have had trouble with ca on red mallee.

First, thank you to everyone who has commented so far!

Funny you should ask about the red (or brown(in my estimation)) mallee. I first finished this pen months ago. And to my disappointment, it turned into an orange peel of sorts. Lots of pits and irregularities. I bought the GluBoost system from Exoticblanks.com, re-sanded, and re-applied the finish to get a muuuuch better end result. So far so good! I think for future versions of Australian mallee, I will turn close to the final dimensions and let it sit for a while before finishing.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is a stunning pen. Well done, and interesting comments about the finish.

Thanks for sharing. Nice photography also.

PenPal

Following your description I marvel at your skill cutting such careful threads,your choice of combinations to make this pen a superior one.

Red Mallee can be harder than,contrary in finishing,difficult to thread. Your photographs are superb.

The necessity of a clip is debatable it sure stops the pen from rolling. You could cut a groove in a slice of Burl Cap and make it your prime desk pen.

Sometimes experimenting with clips is best left to a less important pen,I see a very important example in penmaking,especially as I choose not to post the top in use.I presume it does not post the top.

Respect your skill and application.Especially with Red Mallee.

Peter.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful work, great design, flawless finish and superb presentation (photo). One of the best of the best I have seen here in a while.

I don't have glue boost, but I will have to give it a try now.

hokie

Following your description I marvel at your skill cutting such careful threads,your choice of combinations to make this pen a superior one.

Red Mallee can be harder than,contrary in finishing,difficult to thread. Your photographs are superb.

The necessity of a clip is debatable it sure stops the pen from rolling. You could cut a groove in a slice of Burl Cap and make it your prime desk pen.

Sometimes experimenting with clips is best left to a less important pen,I see a very important example in penmaking,especially as I choose not to post the top in use.I presume it does not post the top.

Respect your skill and application.Especially with Red Mallee.

Peter.

Thank you! Good points about the clip. This pen will definitely not be having a clip added to it. I sure would hate to have finished such a great pen, only to ruin it by messing up in the process of incorporating a clip. I will probably go the roll-stop route on future pens if I find the rolling around to be an issue.

hokie

This is an incredibly beautiful pen. What are the dimensions?
Thank you for the kind words!
Unfortunately I no longer have the pen from this post as I gifted it to someone. However, others I have made in the same style are about 5.5 inches long capped and 14.5mm barrel/17mm cap at their widest.

oldwritingpen

Thank you for the kind words!
Unfortunately I no longer have the pen from this post as I gifted it to someone. However, others I have made in the same style are about 5.5 inches long capped and 14.5mm barrel/17mm cap at their widest.
Thank you.

darrin1200

That is a gorgeous pen @hokie . I love Mallee.

I've always used Delrin, for things that I don't want glue to stick to. What glue did you use to stick the cap liner into the mallee.

hokie

That is a gorgeous pen @hokie . I love Mallee.

I've always used Delrin, for things that I don't want glue to stick to. What glue did you use to stick the cap liner into the mallee.
I 100% use 5 minute epoxy for all my adhesive needs on pens. I knew the delrin would be tricky if it was perfectly smooth, so I rely mostly on the imperfections/toolmarks on the delrin to keep things in place with the epoxy and wood. I hope that makes sense.

Top Bottom