Red Hala

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim15

Hello Everyone,

I made a pen using red hala and had a problm that I was wondering if anyone else has had. I noticed that as I was finishing the pen it appeared to have dirt down in the grain. No amount of sanding would remove it. I tried a new piece of the same wood and noticed on this second one appeared to have dirt in the grain after it was turned but before I ever touched it wih anything else, I checked my tools and they appeared to be clean. Just curious if this is common with this type of wood or if it's something that I may have done wrong.Im hoping it's something I'm doing as the wood is very nice.

Thank you,
jim

Johnathan

Well, make sure you are using clean (new) sandpaper and you might want to clean with DNA after a couple steps of sanding, you a sanding sealer when your done. I've never turned red hala so it might just be a characteristic of the wood.

Dario

Jim,

Are you using thin CA before your final cuts and sanding? CA should fill the pores and stabilize the soft-whitish part between the red veins. Sorry it is giving you problems. Don't have any pictures but I will try to post one after I made new pen out of it.

wayneis

You may be picking up particles of dust from your bushings. When using light colored woods you need to be very careful not to sand the bushgings.

wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom