red bud bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KLJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donstephan

Red bud under a traditional varnish finish shows gorgeous grain. The wood is somewhat soft, so it may be best suited for a display shelf than holding coins and car keys. The tangential to radial shrinkage ratio likely is on the high side, because the wood has shown a higher percentage of bowl cracks for me than any other wood I've used. Natural and live edge bowls were more likely to crack than bowls facing the pith. As the wood is softer than cherry and walnut, it may be problematic for turned pens if under a hard finish.

magpens

Love that bowl !!!

it [red bud] may be problematic for turned pens if under a hard finish.
Thanks for pointing this out, Don, before I rush out and buy some !!

KLJ

Thanks Ted, yes that one is bigger than I usually get around here, I probably have 8 more bowls that size or bigger left from it, and some limbs big enough for small bowls. What would be a suggested finish for a pen, I usually use ca but think that would be considered a hard finish that Don mentioned. The bowl is finished with Danish oil and buffed. Thanks to all for the help. I wonder if a pen will self destruct, the bowl moved so much after first week I had to rework the base to keep it from rocking.

magpens

A pen could self-destruct, as you call it. But if you make a kit pen then the brass tube will obviously help to stabilize and avoid self-destruction.

Even with the brass tube it can happen, as I have experienced on several occasions when using Lignum Vitae wood to make a pen.

It is worth a try on a pen. . I would like to see the result, please, if you do make an attempt at it.

Top Bottom