Wanted Red Amboyna Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
George, I went and looked online for some deep red Amboyna as you mentioned, and was shocked at the prices of the deep red. I hadn't given much thought to Amboyna lately. I got quite a bit when I lived overseas - from friends throughout SE Asia. I have a small fortune on my hands and didn't know it. Most of it is still in burl form and hasn't been cut yet. I'm going to save it for a rainy day!

hokie

Is there an authoritative explanation of the different sorts of "amboyna" out there? I see references to red, orange, golden, padauk, narra, etc.
For example, I've seen the following all sold as amboyna...
1583872947930.png
1583873007792.png
1583873327716.png

I am pretty darn sure that second one is brown mallee, but who knows.

Aces-High

As I
Is there an authoritative explanation of the different sorts of "amboyna" out there? I see references to red, orange, golden, padauk, narra, etc.
View attachment 234912 View attachment 234913View attachment 234914

As I understand it, "Amboyna" is not a tree but an area where these trees grow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Aces-High

George, I went and looked online for some deep red Amboyna as you mentioned, and was shocked at the prices of the deep red. I hadn't given much thought to Amboyna lately. I got quite a bit when I lived overseas - from friends throughout SE Asia. I have a small fortune on my hands and didn't know it. Most of it is still in burl form and hasn't been cut yet. I'm going to save it for a rainy day!

You tease!

leehljp

Member Liaison
You tease!
🙂
George has delivered over and above expectations in his quality and quantity per sale, as do many of our vendors here on IAP. I'm not far behind George in his attitude. Because of age 😵 and not using my stash as much as I thought I would, I am considering selling mine bit by bit. But that will be another 3 to 4 years before I get started on that.

jttheclockman

Right there with Hank on this. I maybe 4 to 5 years out before all must go. Would probably try to sell all turning stuff to help my family. I left my brother in charge of that in case I go unexpectedly and told him this would be the first place to try selling any pen related materials.He has a little experience with selling on line. I explained what looks like junk can be valuable to pen turners so just take photos and ask for help here. I have more kits and materials than I will ever use in my lifetime but I continue to hoard, just like people and toilet paper in these times of crisis. :)

leehljp

Member Liaison
I could be wrong, but it seems that most of the darker red Amboyna burls come from species of Padauk.

In 2005, during the world's fair in Nagoya Japan, I purchased a deep red padauk vase that was about 7 inches wide and 11 inches tall for the equivalent price of about $75 USD. It was in a SE Asia booth with crafts. If I had that much wood of that quality today, it would cost me $300 - $500 USD. I will add that it was sanded smooth and waxed. I treated to put in on my lathe and give it a fine finish but LOML forbid me. I don't know where LOML has it stored now. LOML rotates her E. Asia and SE Asia what-nots about once a year.

robutacion

🙂
George has delivered over and above expectations in his quality and quantity per sale, as do many of our vendors here on IAP. I'm not far behind George in his attitude. Because of age 😵 and not using my stash as much as I thought I would, I am considering selling mine bit by bit. But that will be another 3 to 4 years before I get started on that.
Hey Hank,

You aren't talking about me, right..?

Re-reading what I said on my previous post, I responded to a member that seemed to be looking for some high-grade red Amboyna burl, I did not mention how many I had and how much I want for each, I have received a few other expressions of interest and I was expecting that by admitting I had some good stuff in my own private collection that I will never use to make pens so, I have been selling some of those blanks to some limited number of people that have been helping me for years, I was clear in my responses to the requests I received that I would only sell 1 or 2 per person if they agreed with price, I'm yet to go into my private collection shelvings and look for all the Red Amboyna blanks I have left, they are all numbered with a number so is only a matter to find them, take individual pics and show them to interested people, in no way I will be opening a listing/sale for them or even post their pics here just to avoid confusion/conflit, after they are sold the person who bought them is most welcome to show the blank(s) before and or after they are turned, that decision is not mine to make.

So Hank, I didn't understand your both posts but one thing I totally agree with you, if you have a good/fair stock of Red Amboyna/red Honduras Rosewood burl you certainly have a small fortune that will only increase in value over time as what is still left around like a few of mine are sold, there will be people out there paying small fortunes for the high-quality stuff, believe me, however, I don't have enough to even bother with that...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

View attachment 234912 View attachment 234913View attachment 234914

First pic is Golden Amboyna burl/PGN Rosewood burl, the second pic has nothing to do with any of the species of Amboyna burl while the 3th pic, that is what I'm talking about, Red Amboyna/Red Honduras Rosewood burl and a great chunk of it, I wish it was mine...!

Cheers
George

leehljp

Member Liaison
First pic is Golden Amboyna burl/PGN Rosewood burl, the second pic has nothing to do with any of the species of Amboyna burl while the 3th pic, that is what I'm talking about, Red Amboyna/Red Honduras Rosewood burl and a great chunk of it, I wish it was mine...!
Cheers
George

George, you are teaching me something. I may have some kind of Red Rosewood burl that I thought was a form of padauk burl. I have several friends that live/lived in Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia and even in Tasmania. Each have given me wood from their locations over the years because they know I like it. They were not wood savvy as to types and names other than local names which widely varied.

Thanks for your clarification on the types.
And as to my other comments about you - they were meant in the highest honor; but your statement brought back memories of my time Japan when I learned from other internationals that the same word carried different connotations on different continents. I apologize for that any confusion I may have written.

Hank

robutacion

George, you are teaching me something. I may have some kind of Red Rosewood burl that I thought was a form of padauk burl. I have several friends that live/lived in Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia and even in Tasmania. Each have given me wood from their locations over the years because they know I like it. They were not wood savvy as to types and names other than local names which widely varied.

Thanks for your clarification on the types.
And as to my other comments about you - they were meant in the highest honor; but your statement brought back memories of my time Japan when I learned from other internationals that the same word carried different connotations on different continents. I apologize for that any confusion I may have written.

Hank
Hi Hank,

All good mate...! :)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom