Record Coronet Herald Head Stock/Tail Stock Alignment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Nick

I have a Coronet Herald Lathe and while I can align the tail stock horizontally I also need to align it vertically. There does not seem to be any facility for vertical alignment. Does anyone have any ideas or struck this problem before? Any help would be appreciated as it makes drilling on the lathe off centre.
Thanks Graham

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike

I had this issue and after trying several things, I shimmed the bottom of the tailstock. It worked then and is still working. My garage floor is not completely flat and I move the lathe around on the stand and it is still good. Having said that, a bigger heavier lathe might be a whole different animal. Not sure of the Coronet Herald lathe size. My jet is pretty small.
See this thread for all the suggestions and things I tried.

Mike

rherrell

I have a Coronet Herald Lathe and while I can align the tail stock horizontally I also need to align it vertically. There does not seem to be any facility for vertical alignment. Does anyone have any ideas or struck this problem before? Any help would be appreciated as it makes drilling on the lathe off centre.
Thanks Graham
The bed of your lathe could be "twisted", try using shims under the legs, one at a time, and see if it helps.

SteveG

I looked at a photo of your lathe. The headstock bolts to the bed. So if you rarely move the headstock, you can loosen the bolts, then shim to realign. That should address all "off center" issues. You still must be aware, as mentioned, that moving the entire lathe can result in twisting the bed. So that could re-introduce alignment errors. The best answer is to leave the lathe in one location once you have a good alignment. If the lathe tends to "walk" when turning unbalanced pieces, be sure to mark its location on the floor IOT return it to desired location where the alignment had been established. Also, a TS may be aligned at one point along the length of the bed, but not be aligned at another point. So take that into consideration when calibrating the alignment.

Old Nick

I looked at a photo of your lathe. The headstock bolts to the bed. So if you rarely move the headstock, you can loosen the bolts, then shim to realign. That should address all "off center" issues. You still must be aware, as mentioned, that moving the entire lathe can result in twisting the bed. So that could re-introduce alignment errors. The best answer is to leave the lathe in one location once you have a good alignment. If the lathe tends to "walk" when turning unbalanced pieces, be sure to mark its location on the floor IOT return it to desired location where the alignment had been established. Also, a TS may be aligned at one point along the length of the bed, but not be aligned at another point. So take that into consideration when calibrating the alignment.
Thanks everyone, I am now talking to Record Tools so hopefully they will come up with the answer. Incidentily it is the tail stock that is low not the head stock and the lathe is bolted to a very heavy bench and not shifted so I don't think it a bed or head stock problem. Cheers

Top Bottom