Recent Turns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sprung

Sprung

Haven't had a lot of shop time the last 5 or 6 weeks, but have managed to finish some pens. Here's some of what I've finished in the last month or so. I've been working on my pen photography and am happy with my progress, though I think I need to ditch the tan canvas backdrop in favor of something white.

Material: Red Mallee Burl cast in Purple Resin
Kit: Navigator
Finish: CA

Material: Bog Oak from Bremen, Germany
Kit: Caballero
Finish: 2 coats of the Cap'n's Shine Juice, knocked down with a light sanding of 1000 grit with the lathe off, and then a light coat of paste wax

This was my first time turning bog oak - I really like how it turned out and am going to have to get some more sometime! My mother-in-law spent a good portion of her childhood in Germany (her father was a civilian munitions inspector and they moved around a lot - including two separate times to Germany), so I've already given this pen to her. She loves that the wood came from Germany! Mark - thank you again! My friend may have passed on this material, but my mother-in-law loves it and the story behind it and ventures to guess that her two brothers might end up fighting over the other piece once it's turned into a pen! (Might have to make two single barrel pens so they each get some of it!)

Material: Spalted Maple, Stabilized & Dyed Green
Kit: Jr. Gent I FP

Material: Cocobolo
Kit: Jr. Gent I FP
Finish: Cap'n's Shine Juice, finished with a coat of paste wax

Material: Red Mallee Burl Sapwood
Kit: Le Roi v. 2

Top Bottom