Rebound from previous failure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A day or so ago, I posted concerning a fail in making a pen. Today, I tried again, but instead of going with acrylic, I did wood(the type I'm not sure of). First (technically 2nd) pen with something other than 7mm. Bolt action 30 cal pen, and I think it was a win!
2 things I didn't do with this pen: locktite on the screw(totally forgot about it), and no finish, just bare wood. That part was intentional, as it will be my own personal use, and just testing how it does without a finish. If it splinters, so be it. I have noticed though that with how much I have handled it, the fine sanding marks have smoothed out to barely visible. I didn't sand with the grain as recommended as well as I should have, but being more or less my "beta test", I'm not overly concerned.
I'm really happy with how it turned out, and it definitely made me feel a little better after the previous fail. I had fun making it, and will most likely make more for gifts and craft shows.

Attachments

• 20210406163808_IMG_0590.JPG
    20210406163808_IMG_0590.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210406164623_IMG_0598.JPG
    20210406164623_IMG_0598.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 130

studioseven

Rik, Congrats on sticking with it after your acrylic misadventure. The Bolt Action is one of my favorite pens. I think you will learn that most woods are easier to drill and turn then acrylics but most acrylics are easier to finish (depending on the type of finish used). Of course there are exceptions to every rule. You do need to work on your finishing but you do have a completed pen something to be proud of. Each pen you now complete will enhance your skills with each getting better than the last. A closing question, what do you mean by applying locktite to the screw?

Seven

Rik, Congrats on sticking with it after your acrylic misadventure. The Bolt Action is one of my favorite pens. I think you will learn that most woods are easier to drill and turn then acrylics but most acrylics are easier to finish (depending on the type of finish used). Of course there are exceptions to every rule. You do need to work on your finishing but you do have a completed pen something to be proud of. Each pen you now complete will enhance your skills with each getting better than the last. A closing question, what do you mean by applying locktite to the screw?

Seven
Ive read on previous threads on here about using locktite on the screw inside holding the lever in place and not loosening up.

Top Bottom