Re-retiring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

In mid-December of 2019, I was enjoying retirement with no thoughts of returning to work, becoming a Grandparent, or dealing with a pandemic. I had plenty of quiet time doing some turning, getting out for an occasional hike, and planning our next trip. Life was good. A simple phone call from My old boss started a chain of events that I could not have imagined in my wildest imagination. She somehow coerced me into returning to the work for a "few months" to run a troubled division that had lost its Director in a boating accident and to find a new Director for a he Division. My thought process was "hey I can handle a few months of work and maybe earn enough money to pay for another trip or some new tools." What I did not anticipate was quickly becoming vested in the people of the division. In a very short time, I grew to like a diverse group of employees and their commitment to public safety. The initial search for a new Director did not go as hoped and I agreed to extend my stay a little longer. My daughters decided to contribute to the disruption of my once happy little world by announcing that they were both pregnant with their first children. A short time later Covid 19 raised its ugly head and rocked everyone's world. As if that was not enough, my youngest daughter learned that she was actually expecting twins. To cut the story short, my "few months" became a year, my wife and I were blessed with three grandchildren the week of Thanksgiving, I learned a lot of new things about myself, and was touched by a group of fantastic people. While 2020 was stressful and filled with lots of anxiety, the rewards far outweighed the pain. We have successfully found a new Director and I am retiring once again. While I now know that things are unlikely to work out as I plan, I intend to spend 2021 spoiling the new grandkids- Aaliyah, Aaron and Kirby, doing some woodworking, and doing some traveling.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Glad to hear things weren't all bad. It also goes to show that regardless of planning and preparation life will still throw you some curves. Sounds like your good to go in your new direction.

magpens

Congratulations, Cody !!!

Now, why was it that you were making those 3 cribs ? LOL !!!

Congratulations on your second retirement also !!!

I'm jealous on the grand kids, but congratulations and enjoy them... my wife's granddaughters which she so graciously shared with me, are all grown up now and not babies any more.... my son and his wife only want dogs, and both are of an age where I expect that will be forever the case.
On returning to work, sometimes at night I have nightmares that I'm back in the work force... I spent 40 years in the international traffic and transportation industry, dealing with customers (some of whom were terrific, some were terrible), government regulations, steamship lines and their regulations, airlines and their regulations, truckers and their idiosyncracires (all of which can be very trying .. their sense of urgency nevery met mine nor my customers)... I was glad to retire and still glad I'm retired. Enjoy your newfound life again.

howsitwork

Start dropping. hints as toy what tools you need in your retirement to all those you are building things for.

Always remember they help choose your nursing home!!

Congratulations, albeit a bit late , and all the best

Top Bottom