R8 to MT2 adapter sleeve?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cenogene

I decided to try my hand at turning some rings. Naturally, I overlooked the description for the boring head which indicated it was sized as R8. My Nova lathe has an MT2 tailstock. What I can't wrap my head around is the adapter sleeve. The boring head is R8. I need an adapter to size down to the MT2 tailstock. So, am I looking for an R8 to MT2 adapter sleeve or the other way around? MT2 to R8?

Thanks for helping my addled brain!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Alexis; An R8 is a standard work piece holding chuck for milling machines and metal lathes. It is unlikely you will find the adapter you need. A cursory search did not turn up anything. You best bet is to get an MT chuck. Make sure the chuck has a drawbar and use it!

rherrell

The R8 arbor of the boring head should unscrew, if so then you might be able to to get a 2MT arbor that fits. If not send it to me and I'll make you one.

An R8 arbor HAS to be used with a drawbar because the angle on it is too steep and it won't stay without one. Even if you find an adapter you can't use a drawbar in a tailstock.

Last edited:

duncsuss

Even if you find an adapter you can't use a drawbar in a tailstock.
Rick, do you say this because the quill in a tailstock extends? Because not all lathes operate that way - for example, my Nova lathe has a quill which runs through the entire tailstock and moves in & out as a complete unit. Makes the use of a drawbar possible (but at the same time, it means that MT2 parts do not auto-eject when the quill is retracted, so a knock-out rod is always necessary).

rherrell

Rick, do you say this because the quill in a tailstock extends? Because not all lathes operate that way - for example, my Nova lathe has a quill which runs through the entire tailstock and moves in & out as a complete unit. Makes the use of a drawbar possible (but at the same time, it means that MT2 parts do not auto-eject when the quill is retracted, so a knock-out rod is always necessary).
I didn't know they made something like that!! Learn something new every day! :) Now we need to know if Alexis has a Nova lathe.

cenogene

All, Thank you for your knowledge and assistance. I do have a Nova 2 lathe (and knock out bar). However, I was taught to do things the right way the first time. As this is COMPLETELY new to me, I'm just going to buy the proper MT2 boring head unit and start over. I know enough to be dangerous to myself and I really don't want any shop accidents. Guess I'll be putting my R8 boring head unit on Marketplace (unless someone here is interested).

Curly

If the boring head unscrews from the R8 and they usually do, there is a flat on them, then swapping it is likely going to cost less than the loss you'll take replacing it. Up to you though.

duncsuss

... I was taught to do things the right way the first time. As this is COMPLETELY new to me, I'm just going to buy the proper MT2 boring head unit and start over. I know enough to be dangerous to myself and I really don't want any shop accidents.
You can buy a complete replacement boring head or simply replace the R8 connector with a Morse Taper connector (as Pete says, the chances are high that part simply unscrews from the head itself) - but either way, it is strongly recommended to use a draw-bar to hold it in the tailstock.

So - to avoid having to make another trip around the block, double-check whatever you buy has a tapped hole in the end for a draw-bar to screw into, and either make or buy a draw-bar to fit. They aren't complicated to make - just takes a length of threaded rod and a threaded hand-knob like THIS ONE (but of course it has to match the threads in the Morse Taper you're trying to lock in place.)

KenB259

I use one of these a lot, as Rick mentioned most lathes won't allow the use of a drawbar in the tailstock and with these small boring heads, you don't need one.

Curly

You only said you have a Nova 2 but didn't state which one. The Comet II won't work with a drawbar as it is like most lathes, however the 1624 II does have the tailstock you can use a drawbar with.

Top Bottom