Quickly Scuffing Lots of Brass Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I know lots of people don't scuff their brass tubes.
I do because it seems to me the only times I had problems with tubes coming out was when I didn't scuff them before gluing. YMMV.

However, when I buy 300 kits and have 600 brass tubes, I really don't want to scuff them all by hand with sandpaper.
Here's my new and improved process.

I use a long, threaded rod from HD to hold 9 or 10 tubes and use my belt sander upside down.
Holding the rod at 45 degrees, the entire sleeve of tubes rotate and scuff in about 5 seconds.
c1.jpg

Loading the tubes onto the rod was taking longer than I wanted. Then I discovered the tiny earth magnets I use to hold bushings on my lathe create an easy way to hold the rod upright while leaving both hands free to load tubes onto it.

c2.jpg

Thanks for looking
- Cullen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Cool suggestion Cullen! I don't work in the quantities you do, but I do see scuffing tubes as a tedious task. Simply loading a mandrel with the tubes I am using at this moment, and using my belt sander to scuff them will make the task go faster. Thanks for sharing

Alan Morrison

Very clever, Cullen.
I don't scuff, I only glue tubes with 2-part epoxy and have not had any problems.
But, wow .......600 tubes at the one time!!!

Pebbles

Don't know if this will be of any use to anyone but great if it is—
I use a small plastic bag, -(one you get pen kits in)-place a doubled up sheet of sandpaper the width of the bag and the height of the brass tubes- abrasive sides facing inwards- you then put as many tubes as possible - maybe 8-10 depending on the width of the bag, in between the doubled-up sandpaper and rub the bag between your palms as if you were trying to warm up your hands and job done!!- well after a few minutes anyway. Bag and sandpaper can be used again. Sorry I don't have a picture- on hols at the moment.

Wmcullen

Don't know if this will be of any use to anyone but great if it is—
I use a small plastic bag, -(one you get pen kits in)-place a doubled up sheet of sandpaper the width of the bag and the height of the brass tubes- abrasive sides facing inwards- you then put as many tubes as possible - maybe 8-10 depending on the width of the bag, in between the doubled-up sandpaper and rub the bag between your palms as if you were trying to warm up your hands and job done!!- well after a few minutes anyway. Bag and sandpaper can be used again. Sorry I don't have a picture- on hols at the moment.
That's the kind of innovative solution I love coming across on this site. Thanks for sharing it!

egnald

Thanks Cullen,

You always have such cool solutions. I always have a stock of 1/4-inch ready bolt, "D" drill rod, and 1/4-inch shelf pins on hand. It is amazing how handy they can be at times. If I didn't already have a compact storage solution for my bushings I'm sure I would be using 1/4-inch bolts to make something.

Regards,
Dave

PS Have you ever designed and 3D printed any kind of storage solution for bushings?

Wmcullen

Thanks Cullen,

You always have such cool solutions. I always have a stock of 1/4-inch ready bolt, "D" drill rod, and 1/4-inch shelf pins on hand. It is amazing how handy they can be at times. If I didn't already have a compact storage solution for my bushings I'm sure I would be using 1/4-inch bolts to make something.

Regards,
Dave

PS Have you ever designed and 3D printed any kind of storage solution for bushings?
Dave:
Thanks so much for the kind words. I haven't designed any storage for bushings but that's only because I only ever use 7mm bushings... so I keep them stuck on a magnet on my lathe.
Obviously, many turners like yourself have lots of sizes to work with. What would be the design criteria? Would ease of accessibility be key? If I were to think through this quickly, the solution might look like a "hat rack" I'd keep stuck to my lathe with magnets so I could reach them quickly.
1.jpg

egnald

Dave:
Thanks so much for the kind words. I haven't designed any storage for bushings but that's only because I only ever use 7mm bushings... so I keep them stuck on a magnet on my lathe.
Obviously, many turners like yourself have lots of sizes to work with. What would be the design criteria? Would ease of accessibility be key? If I were to think through this quickly, the solution might look like a "hat rack" I'd keep stuck to my lathe with magnets so I could reach them quickly.
View attachment 354587

I saw a post from a fellow, Del Hilburn, on the Woodnet.net forums of a printed system he came up with a couple of years ago. It was essentially little drawers, kind of based on the PSI bushing storage rack. I thought it was a cool approach. Here is a link: WoodNet Bushing Storage. - Dave

jrista

Thank you for the tip! I've been scuffing so many tubes the last week, my eyes are gonna bleed. Like you, I only seem to have problems if I forget to scuff (which I did recently, on a set of pens...haven't turned them all yet, so I don't know if any are going to separate or not). So I ALWAYS scuff. Been wondering about ways to make this easier. Even been considering designs that might be 3D printed...but I really like your simple yet elegant solution.

I am going to pick up one of these threaded rods today. I've already got a ton of magnets floating around.

RunnerVince

If I'm doing more than a few pens at a time, I just load the tubes onto my pen mandrel and turn the lathe on, then hit it with a bit of 150 grit.

Top Bottom