Questions about wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

I was in Milwaukee last week and had a chance to go to Rockler. I have heard so much about Lignum Vitae from this group that I had to pick some up.
Question # 1: Does that smell ever go away?? At first it's not bad, but after awhile it gets to be a bit overpowering.
Question # 2: What is the proper way to pronounce this wood? I think the first word is pronounced just like it looks - lig num; but the second word could go several ways - vItae - vitAe - vitAE ...
When I show this wood to potential customers, I'd like to pronounce the wood correctly.

Also, has anybody heard of DOT Ebony. It resembles Black and White ebony, but is darker. I picked up 1 piece of this just to try it.

Thanks for any help,
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

The blanks I bought about a year ago still have that nice smell. I keep them in plastic drawers, and don't smell them 'till I open the drawer, so it isn't a big deal for me. I made a pen for a friend and used CA as the finish; as with cedar, you really don't smell it too much once the finish is on. You can further reduce the smell by sealing the ends after you hit the with the barrel trimmer. This assumes, of course, that sealing out the smell is a good thing.

JimGo

BTW, just WAIT 'till you try turning it. It polishes to an amazing shine all by itself! Be sure to post pics!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The aroma does lessen in a fairly short amount of time. What keeps the aroma lingering is the oil. Like Jim said, if you want to get rid of it, seal it with a hard finish like lacquer (or CA is you just have to). [8D]

alamocdc

I have only used a finish on one of my LV pens. It polishes up so nicely, I just hate to cover it up with a finish. And the color returns much fater w/o a finish. As for the smell... it's one of my favorite woods to turn just for the aroma.[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom