Questions about a chuck Updated)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

Hi gang,

My wife bought me a Nova Precision Midi chuck from WoodCraft, and I am having a hard time getting anything to stay in the jaws. I have everything assembled properly, and I have the wood clamped in good and tight, but whenever I get a tool anywhere near the end grain (also the un supported end) the wood likes to fly around the shop.

Is there a different website, or book, or something that would be able to teach me the proper way to use this chuck.

It would be nice if I could, someday, make goblets, and birdhouses like some of you people do, but untill I can figure out what I;'m doing wrong, I'll just look at the stuff you make and dream.

Thanks,
Jim

Sorry it took so long to respond, but we had a family emergency, and funeral.

Anyway, after the "get together" today, I tried the suggestion for putting a small dovetail on the end. It worked GREAT, but my touch with the tools needs some work.

I still screwed up the peice of wood. Now my wife wants me to take a class at WoodCraft, so I don't wasted anymore wood.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE.
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Boyd

Are you making your tenon a dovetail shape? That would help 100%. Also make sure your tenon is close to the size of the jaws in thier round configuration. I've give up on cutting recesses for chucking because it seems the wood gets thrown easier.

alamocdc

Ditto. BTW, Jim, end grain is more difficult to turn than edge grain so little catches will disrupt the turning and tend to throw the piece out of kilter, AND out of allignment in your chuck. With patience and practice, you'll learn how tight to make the chuck, and how heavy you can make cuts in end grain.

thetalbott4

I had some of the same problems when I first started wrecking wood. It was a combination of 3 things. 1- tools not sharp enough, so I had to really lean in hard to get them to cut. 2- Not cutting my tenon to fit the jaws I was using. I tended to make my tenon too big. The jaws work best when they are almost closed or at their smallest diameter if that makes sense. 3- I didnt use my tailstock enough to support the pieces. I use my tailstock until the very bitter end now.

For awhile I spent more time patching holes in drywall than turning.[B)]

Randy_

All good answers. Think I would look first at tool sharpness and technique. Light cuts and proper presentation of the tool to the wood.

What type of chisel are you using.....gouge or skew??

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Ditto. BTW, Jim, end grain is more difficult to turn than edge grain so little catches will disrupt the turning and tend to throw the piece out of kilter, AND out of allignment in your chuck.

Another advantage of segmented turning[;)]

alamocdc

And edge grain bowl turning. [:D] However, we don't always have that luxury with turned vessels. [:(] Oh, I forgot to add something. You can always cheat and use a large (or your largest) Forstner bit in a jacobs chuck mounted in the tailstock to drill the bulk of the material away. Just go slow and take small bites to keep the heat down. It may take a while, but it can save the piece.

Dario

One problem I cannot relate to...since I use a Talon chuck [:D][}:)] Kidding aside, talon's grip is like that of a pit bull. I had major catch on some bowls and everything stays where they are...well unless the bowl blank breaks apart (but the part that the chuck holds stays!!!).

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by Dario
<br />One problem I cannot relate to...since I use a Talon chuck [:D][}:)] Kidding aside, talon's grip is like that of a pit bull. I had major catch on some bowls and everything stays where they are...well unless the bowl blank breaks apart (but the part that the chuck holds stays!!!).

You better be careful. We shoot things with talons in these parts[;)][:D][:p][xx(]

woodbutcher

I tried a different grind on my gouges and really havent had a serious catch since Jan. Everything posted above is on target. David Ellsworth has a dvd that explains his grinding technique in detail. It has changed my turning life completely. Several local turners have been in my shop to reconfigure their grinds. So far there are no complaints and the results have been positive. Hope this helps,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom