Question about loose threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Angela S

I made a pen for a friend using a kit. After 6 years of it being his go to pen the threads that hold the cap on are getting loose. Is there a product that we can put in the threads to tighten them back up? Or does anyone have a different idea on how to fix this issue?

Thanks I'm advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

I made a pen for a friend using a kit. After 6 years of it being his go to pen the threads that hold the cap on are getting loose. Is there a product that we can put in the threads to tighten them back up? Or does anyone have a different idea on how to fix this issue?

Thanks I'm advance.
What is the kit that was used??

Woodchipper

Fine threads are prone to be cross threaded. Cross threading could be the problem. How many times was the cap removed? Worn threads?

Angela S

Fine threads are prone to be cross threaded. Cross threading could be the problem. How many times was the cap removed? Worn threads?
He uses it basically every work day for 6 years, so the cap has been removed a lot. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the pen yet. Hopefully, I will tomorrow.

Oliver X

I don't make kit pens, but a quick glance at the instructions for a metro kit (which I'm going to assume is the same as the one you made) shows a plastic thread sleeve inside the cap. It's most likely the part that's worn. I would guess that the correct fix would be disassembling the cap and replacing that part. The barrel threads may also be worn and may require replacing also. There's really no other good way to fix them.

Angela S

I don't make kit pens, but a quick glance at the instructions for a metro kit (which I'm going to assume is the same as the one you made) shows a plastic thread sleeve inside the cap. It's most likely the part that's worn. I would guess that the correct fix would be disassembling the cap and replacing that part. The barrel threads may also be worn and may require replacing also. There's really no other good way to fix them.
That is probably what is happening. I will look into replacing it.

Brandy

I thought you were talking about threads on the website. I pictured various threads wandering around, popping up here and there. Then I wondered why you brought it up and thought maybe you had found a way to catch them.

It's been a long few weeks....

Dustman

First, determine if the threaded portion will ever (normally) need to be unscrewed. If not, go to an auto parts store and buy a small tube of Lock-tight. It comes in three types. 1) for items that may need to be unscrewed; 2) Medium for items that need to stay together but will be difficult to unscrew and; 3) Thick that will lock the threads so tight the parts will not come apart. I use the medium because it holds well and will prevent the parts from separating unless a lot of pressure is applied.

Top Bottom