Question about different names for Sierra pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doctor G

I understand that many companies have exclusive rights to some pen names. Can anyone tell me what names various pen kit suppliers use for the Sierra kit? Is there anywhere I can find the same kind of information for other kit name conversions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Sierra is the name used by Berea Hardwoods. . "Same" style and size from PSI is the Gatsby. . These are probably the two most common.

There are a large number of variants which are generally compatible as to the diameter/length of brass tube used.

Some names of variants are Diplomat, Pioneer, Ellipse, Thank-You pen, ......

If you want to ensure compatibility you'd have to ask before you buy.

As for other pen styles, another which is commonly duplicated is the Cigar, again by Berea. . PSI sells theirs as the Big Ben. . Again there are others.
And, again, you have to check compatibility before buying .... there are some variations, mainly in the lengths of the brass tubes, and also in the diameter to which you turn your blank in order to match the hardware at the nib and finial ends (ie. bushing size if you use bushings).

BTW, the Berea Cigar pen is often referred to, even on their website, as the Extra Large Twist pen, or as the Fat pen.

There are tables of pen kit specifications in the IAP Resources section. . I believe there is a table for each major pen kit supplier.
It is a time-consuming process, and it requires some computer skills at searching these files, but you can come up with the information that you require by consulting these tables. . I don't know of anyone who has done this in a systematic and comprehensive way and made their results public.

For most of us, this kind of knowledge comes through much experience over many years, coupled with frequent visits/questions to IAP !

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If you have the IAP Bushings and Tubes App for iOS of Android, you can first search for "Sierra", then tap on "Upper/Cap Bushings" and it will automatically search for all kits that use the same bushings. It may not be a 100% complete list, but it will give quite a few similar kits that use the same bushings.

The same technique can be used for any other kit as well to see what kits might use the same bushings.

GraiDawg

If you have the IAP Bushings and Tubes App for iOS of Android, you can first search for "Sierra", then tap on "Upper/Cap Bushings" and it will automatically search for all kits that use the same bushings. It may not be a 100% complete list, but it will give quite a few similar kits that use the same bushings.

The same technique can be used for any other kit as well to see what kits might use the same bushings.
Well thank you ! I did not know that.

sbwertz

Woodcraft calls theirs a Wall Street, and Rockler calls it a Manhattan. Penn State Industries calls it a Gatsby. They have different mechanisms, some twist by the cap, some by the nib. But I think they all use the same bushings.

Last edited:

turnit2020

Wall Street II is the same as the Sierra. The Wall Street III is the same as the Sierra Vista. The Gatsby is the same as the Sierra except for the Transmission placement. Personally I prefer the Sierra transmission as it has proven more reliable than that of the Gatsby IMHO.
Turncreazy43

kronewi

Is the Upper/Cap Bushing you mention only an option on iOS? I don't see anything like that on Android.

Kevin

Never mind me, I finally found it.

Top Bottom