Question about bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

My wife and I are having a disagreement. I am trying to make some bowls and candlesticks, and I have been writing on the bottom of the item what wood it is, and the date. SHE thinks it looks trashy (the writing on the wood, not the penmanship). She doesn't seem to understand that after 4 -5 minutes I can't remember what wood was used, so I write it on the bottom.

How do you, or DO YOU, mark your turnings with wood type and date?

Thanks for any and all responces.

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Printed mini labels might be a solution - such as on the bottom of crystal when new. Marking wood with date and information has been around for years / centuries, but that is more for larger pieces of furniture. Not sure about wood bowls etc. If at all it with a pen, it should be done with a fine pen and and supurb penmanship.
JMHO and probably wrong at that.

bradh

I remember someone doing a review of what people at craft shows do when they look at a turned object. Once they pick the item up, they almost always look at the bottom.
I believe a handwritten marking about the item and artist conveys the message of unique hand-crafted. I initial and date at least. I did a few cradles years ago. I added a prayer of protection and blessing onto the bottom of each one.
Brad

fuzzydog

Jim, if your wife had the a chance to buy the "Mona Lisa" or any other work of art, but they didn't come with any signature does she believe that they are the orginals?

If you as the artist feel the piece is worthy of a signature or discription do it! Just don't try and sell it to your wife. [:D][:D][:D]

whatwoodido

Most of the pros that have demoed at my club either burn or etch their names. The reason they give is that a marker, even permanent one does not always stand up well when the bowl is waxed or oiled for maintenance purposes.

53Jim

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Most accomplished turners I've seen sign their piece with their name, date and/or wood used.

I guess that leaves me out.[:D][:(] Actually, I'm going to give my wife the job of paying for the wood that I turn. If she wants something with NO writing on the bottom, she'll have to turn it.[}:)]

Thanks again

Jim

woodwish

I use a fine tipped wood burner to put my initials and date on the bottom of bowls and most other pieces. Sometimes I add the wood type or where the wood came from if it is significant. I really don't do it to "sign" it, but more so I can look at pieces later and figure out when I made it. Hopefully each piece gets better, and dating them helps me see the progression (or lack of sometimes).

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
A number of people prefer to use special made wooden medallions.
Notice the second pic from the bottom:

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_127.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom