Puzzle Contest Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's a first pass at the rules for the 2015 Puzzle Contest for your consideration & comment. (Blue highlights indicate that edits are required when appropriate info is available.)

Thanks
Edgar

[FONT=&quot]The Birthday Bash Puzzle Contest!

What is it?

This contest will use a mix of Crossword Puzzles and other word games to give you a chance to solve a puzzle, have some fun and possibly win a prize.

How do I participate?

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Each day for a set period of time (specify the time period) I will post a new puzzle on the IAP Bash Entry Form website (found here: {add link} ) and make an announcement here. You will have at least 24 hours to complete each puzzle and the time will end when the next puzzle is posted or when the time period for the contest ends.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once a new puzzle has been started, you will not be able to go back and do the previous puzzles. You will have until the next puzzle is posted to complete the existing puzzle so be sure to check this forum for new puzzles frequently and daily so you don't miss any puzzles!

How do I win
There is no need to rush to complete the puzzles. The amount of time that it takes for you to solve a puzzle will not affect your chances of winning at all as long as you finish it before the time for that puzzle ends, so take your time and enjoy the puzzle.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When each puzzle is completed, I will use random.org to randomly draw a winner from everyone who properly completed that puzzle. If enough prizes are available, there may be more than one winner some days.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]{an additional variant if enough prizes are available}[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Each puzzle will also have an unannounced theme. Every entrant will have an opportunity to make ONE guess as to the theme for that particular puzzle. You may only make a guess if you also complete the puzzle. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I will use random.org to randomly draw a winner from everyone who properly identified the theme of that day's puzzle.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You can win a maximum of one prize during the Birthday Bash Puzzle Contest. You may continue to participate in the contest for fun, but once you win a prize, your name will not be entered into another random draw during this contest.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]{one more variant if enough prizes are available}[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At the end of the contest, all participants who completed one or more puzzles during the contest but who did not win one of the daily prizes, will be entered into a random draw for one more chance to win a prize.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
How do I enter?

When you complete a puzzle, you will get a congratulations message along with a completion code. Once you have this code, enter it into the entry form along with your guess for that puzzle's theme and you will be automatically entered into that day's contest.

Remember, the more you participate, the better your chances of winning a prize will be!

Good luck, have fun, and let the puzzles begin!

Where do I find this awesome contest?
You can find the first puzzle beginning [/FONT][FONT=&quot] February 1 here: {add link}[/FONT]

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle Contest Feedback Needed

I wrote the tentative rules for the Puzzle Contest from the viewpoint that the contest would likely run for about 1-2 weeks and that enough prizes would be available for at least 1 prize per day (typically boxes of blanks). That may or may not be the case though.

I was not here 2 years ago when Curtis ran a very successful month-long contest with a slightly different format, but I spoke to Curtis today and he explained it to me. I do like the way he ran it and I can see where that approach would likely encourage more participation over the course of the contest. The only drawback I see with it is that there were only a few prizes for a month-long contest.

I'm kinda thinking that it might be possible to combine the two formats if there are enough prizes available. Perhaps small box of blanks prizes for the daily randam-draw prizes, but also have a competitive point-accumulation contest like we had 2 years ago for a few more valuable prizes.

I'd like your thoughts about these approaches or any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks
Edgar

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe difference was the level of the prizes. They were larger value prizes that BOBs

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe Bob can chime in with some thoughts on prize gathering. I think one of the drivers of the number and type of contests is the value and quantity of the available prizes.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Andrew,

Could you estimate the average number of prizes you are able to obtain? I'm thinking around 120 but I may be way off.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
thats about right. It has been as high as 138 I believe but around 120 including all the BOBs

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Some of the "how many" we have for disbursement depended on how many were diverted to Jeffs drawing.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Top Bottom