Push on caps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hertzogcraig

Has anyone done any kitless pens with push on caps instead of threaded? I'm just curious if this is doable and if you have, how did you do it? I'm assuming you'd have to use and oring and possibly a detent for the oring.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

I have been making threadless caps. No O-ring. No detent.

Locked taper using matching 2 degree taper on the cap and body. Think about how a morse taper holds. Force required to separate cap/body 5-9 pounds. Bubble tight to at least 15 psig. I also taper the end of the body so that the cap is postable (if desired). Cap can be removed by pulling, twisting clockwise or twisting counterclockwise.

I focus on ballpoint & rollerball mainly because my budget doesn't allow for me to keep FP nibs/feeds and due to my location in rural South Dakota. Drilling the section to accept a FP feed would only be using a different thread

Locked taper example

1712836008038.jpeg

hertzogcraig

I have been making threadless caps. No O-ring. No detent.

Locked taper using matching 2 degree taper on the cap and body. Think about how a morse taper holds. Force required to separate cap/body 5-9 pounds. Bubble tight to at least 15 psig. I also taper the end of the body so that the cap is postable (if desired). Cap can be removed by pulling, twisting clockwise or twisting counterclockwise.

I focus on ballpoint & rollerball mainly because my budget doesn't allow for me to keep FP nibs/feeds and due to my location in rural South Dakota. Drilling the section to accept a FP feed would only be using a different thread

Locked taper example

View attachment 372030
Awesome, thank you. I'm in the same boat, can't afford triple start tools right now and how uncapping my pens with single start threads. Been wanting to try this for a while now, but didn't have a clue where to start. Guess now I need to figure out how to do the tapers.

hertzogcraig

Metal lathe. Angle blocks to set a repeatable angle. TIny boring tool to get inside sub half inch holes.

Multi start tap/die is cheaper than the lathe :) AND tools.
Luckily, I already have the metal lathe, bought it before my wood lathe to make pipes. I've just never worked with the angles before. Do you by chance have any pics of the boring tool and blocks that you use?

hertzogcraig

I'll have to give this a shot in the next few days. That's actually the boring tool I've already got so I'm good there. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions lol

Penultimate

Greetings, you can buy fountain pen nibs with a snap cap feature. I think I bought some cap parts without the nibs for a roller bal I made. Milan's pens sells some. https://www.milanspens.com/product-page/fh-231
I was successful making my own part from polypropylene but went with the ready made part. With your metal lathe you can turn the edge that engages with the snap cap.

hertzogcraig

Greetings, you can buy fountain pen nibs with a snap cap feature. I think I bought some cap parts without the nibs for a roller bal I made. Milan's pens sells some. https://www.milanspens.com/product-page/fh-231
I was successful making my own part from polypropylene but went with the ready made part. With your metal lathe you can turn the edge that engages with the snap cap.
Awesome, I'll look at this as well. Thank you

Top Bottom