Pulled the Trigger (Finally!) 1221vs Ordered

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

After wrestling for some time over which lathe to get I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Jet 1221vs off of Amazon for $799 with free shipping. Many thanks to everybody who offered advice earlier this year. It definitely helped me figure out what I was looking for in a lathe, and I think this new Jet really seems like it fits the bill.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

Way to go

Congrats on the order. Of course you know it is expected now that we'll get a full review and pics once you get it up and running :biggrin: ! It looks to be an excellent lathe from the specs. I have a Jet 1642 and it is a quality tool. Hopefully this new model will also be great!

JohnGreco

The lathe finally arrive today! I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but my initial thoughts:

- The upper belt cover was busted. I'm no forensic scientist, but I'm betting the footprint on the box right over this part may have had something to do with it. Spent 5 minutes on the phone with Jet trying to get them to Stop telling me to contact Amazon for a replacement cover.

- Upgrading from a little VS ShopFox, this thing is a BEAST! I think it could eat my old lathe as a snack. It also sits higher, so the bench that I made to have my old lathe sit a little high now has this sitting higher yet. It might be OK, will have to see. My back surgeon may prefer it this way for me :)

- It makes NO sound until you hit about 200rpm, and then it is still pleasantly quiet. Will be interested to see how it is under load.

- Alignment is spot-on. Horizontally and vertically. Tailstock has almost no play whatsoever in the bed, and the spindle has none at all that I can see. This 'slop' was one of my biggest pet peeves with the old lathe (which is now a buffer).

I've been taking pics along the way and will give a more thorough report once it has been up and running for a bit, but so far I am Very happy :)

Huey101

First Time poster, long time reader. I have been turning on my 1221 since 15 March. Also bought from Amazon (one of the first they had). Arrived with broken upper pulley door also. Jet could not have been any nicer but have to wait for the parts supply to get up to speed with the new model.

I have only been turning for 8 months on a Jet 1014VS which I have now set up for buffing and polishing. I really like the 1221. Very solid built machine and runs the full rpm range nicely. Low rpm torque is much stronger that with the 1014 as tested using a 3 inch forstner bit drilling a 4 inch hole in hardwoods.

Only one problem, I keep reaching with my left hand for the on/off switch. Still getting the hang of it but as a newbie, I like it.

JohnGreco

Well, about 6 weeks in using this full time and there seems to be a problem with the switch. I flip it, the display shows FOR (forward) then shows 0 rpm and it seems no juice gets to the motor. I've had to flip it 3x sometimes to get it to actually start while other times it will take as long as 5 seconds before it begins turning. Jet wants me to essentially rewire it to bypass the switch, but I am really not electrically savvy so hopefully one of their tech's can walk me through that this week. Extremely friendly each time I call, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Dave Turner

Sometimes on my 1642 EVS-2 when I turn it on nothing happens. If I turn it off and turn the speed control down to zero, then turn it on, it will run normally when I turn up the speed. I've put it down to the quirky electronics in the variable speed control and don't think twice about it any more because it's become second nature to turn the speed control when this happens.

Of course this may have nothing to do with your problem. Just an observation.

JohnGreco

Thanks, Dave. I can't imagine this switch is really much different (if at all) from switches they've been using prior to releasing the 1221.

Top Bottom