Pucker Factor --- Off the chart!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

I saw this design here on IAP and just had to give it try. The making of the blank was the easy part and drilling was by far the hardest. In test projects like this I use whatever (free) wood I have on hand and just go for it, walnut and cherry ( I think ) this time. Not sure if I'll actually make a pen with this but the experience was exhilarating. CA glut start to finish 5 hours start to finish.

The pucker factor was off the chart.

Attachments

• 20201003_143714.jpg
    20201003_143714.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 20201003_164755.jpg
    20201003_164755.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 307
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

Looks great. I tried making one similar. It didn't survive drilling. That was a few years ago and I swear I still find a stray piece of that failed project every once in awhile. My hat's off to you.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent work Dale. I really admire your precision. I understand your caution to go further - the blank is called you, but with the mixed materials, glue lines and eventual thickness it does give you reason to pause.

Oh heck, you got a nice photo - turn it! šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ (Easy for me to say!)

Dale Parrott

Looks great. I tried making one similar. It didn't survive drilling. That was a few years ago and I swear I still find a stray piece of that failed project every once in awhile. My hat's off to you.
Thanks for your comment Dick. I might have left out the part that this wasn't my first try. :)

jttheclockman

That is funny Dale, that is one of my designs I have on the work bench right now or started over a month ago until I started working on my house. I will get back to it in about 2 or 3 weeks. You beat me to it. That design was done many years ago and I wanted to bring it back into play again.

What size material did you use?? What kit would that fit on?? Sierra?? I am expanding the design for 2 different pens so should give a little different look. I have the pieces cut but have not gotten to glue up or drilling yet. I am going with epoxy for glue.

Dale Parrott

That is funny Dale, that is one of my designs I have on the work bench right now or started over a month ago until I started working on my house. I will get back to it in about 2 or 3 weeks. You beat me to it. That design was done many years ago and I wanted to bring it back into play again.

What size material did you use?? What kit would that fit on?? Sierra?? I am expanding the design for 2 different pens so should give a little different look. I have the pieces cut but have not gotten to glue up or drilling yet. I am going with epoxy for glue.
JT, When I made this I really didn't have a pen in mind, mostly testing. The aluminum is 3/4" angle and 1/16 thick (Menards) The wood is approx 1/4". The blank length is exactly 2.25" that will fit a Mesa that I have but the accents would not be centered. It's drilled to 7mm that means I'd need to increase hole size from about .281 to .421. The blank is about 5/8 or .625. That would leave a wall thickness od about .100. I'll probably just toss it in the unfinished blanks box. Thanks for asking.

Top Bottom