PSI VS Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boatemp

HI,
Would like any and all opinions on the PSI Variable Speed Motor setup. Looked in archives, couldn't find much.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

A few years ago I bought one as an upgrade to my Central Machinery 10 x 18 inch 5-speed 1/2 HP benchtop lathe.
The only modification that I made was to replace the PSI pulley. Although the current ad for the PSI conversion kit says it has 3 belt positions, the one I got only had 2. So I replaced the PSI pulley with the 3 belt position pulley from the Central Machinery lathe. The 3-position pulley was sloppy on the motor shaft so I simply built up the shaft with a couple of wraps of aluminum tape.

Although it worked perfectly, with the tools and improved skills I think I would have done a little measuring and using an appropriately sized transfer punch as a mandrel, I would have turned down some HDPE or other plastic to make a more proper adapter sleeve.

All in all though, it was a good upgrade for me, 3/4 HP instead of 1/2 HP and the variable speed was a real blessing. It worked well and served me well for quite a few years until I upgraded to a standard variable speed (Jet 1221VS).

It has been a few years, so I don't know for sure if anything has changed with what comes with the kit from PSI, but that's how things went for me. If I were in the same situation, I would do it again.

Regards,
Dave

PS I think I might have also used a piece of wood to make an adapter block for mounting the speed controller in a convenient location on my lathe table.

farmer

HI,
Would like any and all opinions on the PSI Variable Speed Motor setup. Looked in archives, couldn't find much.

Thanks

They are adjustable as in rpm's
I have 3 lathes that use the PSI motors and speed controller .
I have to replace a speed controller ever couple of years .
The motors work good but not enough for deep hole boring with a 5/8 gun drill.
I can run two motors on one lathe.

Joebobber

When i was looking at lathes about 6 years ago i bought the turncrafter commander 10" with the 5 speed. I mentioned to them that I should've gone with the vs one but I'd probably get that vs kit. They told me they weren't that great and a little under powered motor wise. This time around i got a 12" Turncrafter with vs. Now i don't know if anything has changed in 6 years with their kit, but that's what they told me. I won't mention who at psi told me this, but they were more than qualified to speak about them.

rixstix

I have had 2 of them for 7+ years without a hiccup. I have adjusted the low rpm internally for sub-70 rpm. One is on a PSI Turncrafter. The other is on a Jet 1014i

farmer

I have had 2 of them for 7+ years without a hiccup. I have adjusted the low rpm internally for sub-70 rpm. One is on a PSI Turncrafter. The other is on a Jet 1014i
I am around 50 RPM when my finishes are curing/drying My speed controllers were much high rpms from the factory.
When I am doing a epoxy finish my lathes run non stop sometimes for weeks or a month

Top Bottom