PSI Click EDC pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scrofts1219

I recently bought a PSI EDC click pen kit. Finished it with a gorgeous piece of stabilized wood and starting taking it with me everywhere. I love the feel of the pen. The look is really good for an EDC pen and I think the click mechanism is the best I've ever seen. I've tried other click pens and they felt cheap and clients didn't like them. This one is great.

But it has one problem, at least for me. I carry the pen most of the time in my pants pocket--don't wear shirts with pockets that often. Most of the time, by the end of the day, the nib and the screw mechanism have come very loose, and last night when I reached into my pocket, it had come completely disassembled. This has happened two other times.

I've been making pens about 7 years and I've never seen a disassembly like that. I have people at work who've seen the pen and want one or as a gift, but I can't sell any until I either figure out how to fix/eliminate the issue or contact PSI and tell them the kit has issues. I thought I'd start with this illustrious group of know it alls (experts) first. Also, am I the only one who has this problem with the kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

The same has happened to me (with the nip and plunger housing). I just keep an eye on it and will probably test with some blue loctite. I never had it come completely apart, but it was heading that way. Makes me somewhat uncomfortable selling them.

I just made one of these and ordered more. There's a couple problems I think you might have. First off, pens probably shouldn't be carried in a pants pocket. I've tried carrying pencils in my pockets and they always seem to break. When you sit down the pocket "bends". Take a look the next time you sit down and you'll see what I mean. Pens don't bend to the same form your pants pockets do. The tip and nib on this pen is pretty long and I think the pants pocket issue and the pressure applied to this weak point are creating the problem. It's kind of like the lead on a wooden pencil, it's the weak point and if you put it in your pocket, nine times out of ten the lead tip will break but not the pencil itself. The same kind of stress applied to the pencil lead is the same kind of pressure being applied to the nib and tip. I'm really surprised the barrel material hasn't broken yet or at least cracked. Good luck and please post what you did to correct it.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've made 7 so far. I also carry in my pants pocket at times. I have not had any disassembly issues yet (about 4 weeks of occasional use).

I've made 7 so far. I also carry in my pants pocket at times. I have not had any disassembly issues yet (about 4 weeks of occasional use).

I guess it also matters what type of pants you're wearing too. I'm thinking jeans vs. dress slacks. I was using jeans as my example above but if you're wearing a different type of pant that would change the dynamics.

magpens

There is no harm in tightening up the screwed fittings on both ends. . The pen is robust and can take moderate (not wrenched) tightening.

I have made several of these pens and have had no problems whatsoever ... but I do carry them in my shirt pocket.

Dieseldoc

This kit use the same Schmidt SKm88 click assembly that I have been using in conversion to the Slimline crappy Slimline click assembly.
My first few would. Loosen up, to correct this I used denatured alcohol on the click threads and thread adapter on upper blank and tighten them down sug with fingers and have vet to hear of any of over the 50 pen that I have sold having a proble.

scrofts1219

This kit use the same Schmidt SKm88 click assembly that I have been using in conversion to the Slimline crappy Slimline click assembly.
My first few would. Loosen up, to correct this I used denatured alcohol on the click threads and thread adapter on upper blank and tighten them down sug with fingers and have vet to hear of any of over the 50 pen that I have sold having a proble.

Where can you buy just the assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

You can buy the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism from Richard Greenwald, and also from Milan's Pens.
The appropriate tap is also offered.

You will have to do a google search for those names. . I don't have their website addresses.

penicillin

I have made three EDC pens. I like them and use them. They are not suitable for a pants pocket. In fact, none of the pens I have made are suitable for a pants pocket. They are all too long.

Recommended Pen for a Pants Pocket:
I always have a "bullet" Fisher Space Pen in my pants pocket. I have carried it for 15-20 years. It has a pressurized cartridge that will write on nearly any surface in any direction, even on walls or upside down if necessary. It has been a nice, reliable pen, small enough to fit without interference in a pants pocket. I use it all the time, mostly so I don't have to touch the courtesy pens at banks, restaurants, and stores. It just works. Sorry, it is not a handcrafted pen. Someday, perhaps.
https://www.spacepen.com/400B.aspx
https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-400B-Space-Bullet-Pen/dp/B000WGD13U

Related:
The pressurized Fisher Space Pen refill includes a plastic adapter so that it can replace a standard Parker cartridge. If you want to make your own pen that uses a Fisher Space pen cartridge, you can.

Top Bottom