Proxxon Power Miter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwc

Was just wondering if anyone used the little Proxxon Miter saw to cut pen blanks? If so, opinions of it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

I have used one and they are nice but they do have a limited opening so you cannot get a piece much bigger then 3/4 - 7/8 under the blade. I also used the proxxon table saws. I own the small one that has no tilt. I works real nice for laminate work but struggles with cutting blanks. The larger tilt saw has much more power and can cut blanks with no problems. But to be honest for $300+ dollars your better off investing in a good full size table saw.

kenwc

Thanks...I was just playing with one in a store today and for it's size I thought it was pretty well made. Doubt I'd get one unless I find it on Craiglist or eBay though. They are quite proud of them. My beast of a CMS and Band Saw will continue to show no mercy to pen blanks for now.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Check your bargain papers for used tablesaws.
Contarctor saws(not necessarily benchtops) usually go inexpensively.
I have a grizzly tablesaw and use a 7&1/4 Freud diablo blade on it.
With the bed of my sled 1/2 Baltic Birch I can still get a dpth of cut of about 1&1/8th inch.
The Kerf of the Diablo is about 1/16th.
I get a smooth cut with no sanding for my glue ups.

jben

kenwc,
I bought one to use it for cutting segmented blanks. As the right side of the miter has no way to secure the cut off piece, the cut off piece falls down in the well like hole and was destroyed by the blade. I returned it and bought the Craftmans 7 1/4 miter. It is less than half the price of the Proxxon at $89.95, has a carbide blade, has a Laser Trac guide, and a dust collection bag. I just checked, its listed at $85.95 now. I think it is a much better buy.

Check it out:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00921180000&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Miter+Saws&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom