Proposed Poll Question #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Here is the first post bash poll I intend to post. Please take a look and let me know if it is unclear orneeds any tweaking before I post it.

A member's pen turning skill level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) should be determined by:
• Number of pens turned
• Length of IAP membership
• Length of time turning
• Self assessment (The member places himself at the level he feels he beongs.)
• Other (Please post your idea or PM it to mbroberg)

IAP Mission Statement:
The International Association of Penturners (IAP) is an organization that recognizes pen making as a craft with unique and distinctive character. Pen making encompasses a vast array of techniques, materials, technical knowledge, and novel approaches to produce a functional, aesthetically appealing writing instrument. The goal of the IAP is to give pen makers a place to enhance their skills, share experiences, and promote the art of pen making.

One of the ways the IAP facilitates its mission is to host various activities that allow IAP members, who all have varying degrees of technical knowledge, to enhance their skills and share their experiences. Competition is one of those activities.

During the Birthday Bash and at other times throughout the year many pen making activities are available to members. The IAP attempts to provide a sufficient variety of competitions so that members of all skill levels will be able to participate. The goal is to have each competition be a level playing field where all participants in the competition are working at, or slightly above their own skill level. How to best accomplish that fairly has proven to be difficult.

Competition organizers have used several different means of establishing a contest's skill level. Skill level is generally summarized by the use of three categories: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.

There is normally never any confusion about who can enter an Advanced competition. Any member is allowed, and encouraged to step out of their comfort zone and enter an Advanced competition. What has proven to be a problem is assuring that an Advanced or Intermediate penturner does not place himself in a competition intended for Beginner penturners and Advanced penturners do not place themselves in a competition intended for Intermediate penturners.

Attempts have been made to define skill level by number of pens turned, length of IAP membership or a combination of the two. Contests have been specifically tailored to specific skill levels. Each of these methods has it's drawbacks.

How should the IAP differentiate between member's individual skill levels. For the purposes of this poll assume that there are three levels of skill; Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The poll looks fine but I still see no need for it, as no matter the guideline or rule there will always be those just on the wrong side of things.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Perhaps, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. At least we will find the most popular, flawed method of doing it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I would make it a bit more obvious that you're looking for input and opinion for future contests. Maybe some large font is all you need. People don't read before they vote!

Bob Wemm

I think that covers the problem pretty well, and I agree that most people don't read before they vote. I would go with Jeff and highlight the bullet lines or something.
Don't know if I am out of line here but you need to correct "beong" in the self assessment line,???

Bob.

Top Bottom