Production

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen_man_ship

Hi all,
Some people like me enjoy production, some do not.
I'll admit generally I don't go this long before I start to actually "finish" the pens.
I had to count them....73
Please note the new PSI trays, they definitely help keep me organized.

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_0805169_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20210408_0805169_rewind.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Shoot me!! Just shoot me!! :) I could not do this type work. Hats off to you and looks like you have a good system.

I remember years ago I had a lady come up to me at a craft show of mine and asked if I make scrollsawn ornaments and showed her what I did. She liked it so much and asked if I would be willing to make a few for her. I said fine so we worked out a deal. She wanted 500 of one type and 500 of another type. All I saw was $$$$$$ in my eyes. I am thinking I can stack cut about 4 or 5 (cut all at once) and this can help save time. Well a couple things happened. First is she gave me a drawing that I had to spend time to make cuttable and next she wanted in the oak that I use in my projects. This is tougher to stack cut so was only able to cut 3 at a time. I got 250 done and stopped over her house to drop them off and told her to find someone else. I was so bored out of my mind it started to effect the quality of cutting. I will never do production work again.

KMCloonan

If it becomes a job, I lose interest. I enjoy making pens, one at a time. Most times, when I start building a blank, I don't even know what it is going to be - I just make it up as I go. So, to make multiples of a single pen would drive me crazy.

I actually did that for my Daughter's bridal party, 7 pens for the bridesmaids and 7 different pens for the groomsmen. It was not too bad, but it gave me a taste of repetitive production, and I was just glad to be done with it.

studioseven

So after tonight after you finish turning and finishing these, what are you going to do tomorrow? LOL. I cringe thinking how long that would take me.

Seven

qquake

I think the most I've ever made at one time was 12, for my son's bridal party. I take that back, on looking at the pics it was 13. I can't remember who the 13th was for, there were only 12 in the wedding party. It wasn't bad, they were all the same kits (Executive) and all purpleheart (my daughter-in-law loves purple). Turning wood pens, at least for me, is faster and easier than acrylic. Last Christmas, I made nine pens for people at work. They were even easier. Editor pens made out of padauk. I did engrave them, but even that wasn't too bad.

But I can't imagine making any more than that at once.

Attachments

• 272.jpg
    272.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 274.jpg
    274.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 142.jpg
    142.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 143.jpg
    143.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 148.jpg
    148.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 79

BlackGoatWW

I think the most I've ever made at one time was 12, for my son's bridal party. I take that back, on looking at the pics it was 13. I can't remember who the 13th was for, there were only 12 in the wedding party. It wasn't bad, they were all the same kits (Executive) and all purpleheart (my daughter-in-law loves purple). Turning wood pens, at least for me, is faster and easier than acrylic. Last Christmas, I made nine pens for people at work. They were even easier. Editor pens made out of padauk. I did engrave them, but even that wasn't too bad.

But I can't imagine making any more than that at once.
Newbie here...I relaly like the "Editor" kits in pics 142/143. Could you point me to where you got those? PSI? Thank you!

dogcatcher

I had a reunion of Company from Vietnam, I made a 100 cartridge pens. But I have been turning game calls for over 50 years in a production mode. Making 50 predator calls in a production mode maybe a little boring to some, but I look at the income that will be paid for them and I know that it is worth it. Total time actually working would be about 12 to 13 hours, that is spread out over a week.

qquake

Newbie here...I relaly like the "Editor" kits in pics 142/143. Could you point me to where you got those? PSI? Thank you!
They are called Editor from Exotic Blanks, and Tiny Giant from Turners Warehouse. Really cool little pens.

Attachments

• 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 069b.jpg
    069b.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 80

BlackGoatWW

They are called Editor from Exotic Blanks, and Tiny Giant from Turners Warehouse. Really cool little pens.

Thanks! Yeah those look sharp. Sorry to hijack the thread.

KMCloonan

I like that kit! I will look them up. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom