Problems with FP nibs.....again....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

timdaleiden

Originally posted by btboone
<br />I tried breaking in my nib on a grocery bag, but it kept poking through the plastic. [:D]

I tried burnishing a pen once with a grocery bag, and it kept melting. We must be missing something here Bruce. [:D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Sterling barstock. Gotta love it. [:)] It sounds at least as expensive as titanium, probably not as much as tungsten though. Must be pretty easy to machine since it's so soft.

Randy_

Russ:

Thanks very much for your perspective on the concerns about FP nibs. You have greatly eased my mind concerning potential problems with FP nibs. It's also good to know that if a problem nib does show up, the good folks at CUSA will stand behind their kits. I have every confidence that we can depend on our other pen kit vendors to stand behind their products as well.

There have been a few comments here indicating most people sell their FPs dry. I think I will steal a page from your notebook and wet test any FPs that I offer for sale unless a customer specifically prefers a pen that hasn't been inked.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Most customers appreciate that I have given the pen a wet-test. For those that don't, I exchange the nib.

Sterling isn't all that expensive when you consider that the scrap and chips have a resale value of about $6 per ounce.

Yes, I do have a small machinist lathe with a lead screw for cutting metric threads.

woodscavenger

Just an update. I sent one of my troublesome baron FPs to arerhlich. He has an affinity for FPs and took it for a test drive. Here is a copy of the e-mail he sent me after playing with it for a few days.

Shane,

I've been using your pen for a few days now. Writes quite well... when it
writes. There is definitely something wrong with the nib assembly. It
seems to me that it gets air-blocked every once in a while. I was writing -
everything was great - and it just stopped. I had to pull the cartridge and
replace it, and then squeeze it a little to get ink flowing again. Wrote
another page or two and the same thing happened. I would not call this
skipping - it's too severe for that. There is something that stops the
ink from flowing.

I've been using my Jr. Gent's for a few weeks now - on my third
cartridge - and have not experienced anything like it.

Fountain pens can be finicky, but they should keep the ink
flowing. This isn't a matter of the nib requiring break-in. There is
something not-right here.

Hope this helps.

Alan

I have been playing with some of my other baron FP nibs and have not had problems. Maybe I just got a bad batch. I hope this helps some people.

If you sell FPs you might want to make sure the people know how to play with them because they are great but definitely not as low maintainence as a smooth rollerball. They sure look cool though.

Rifleman1776

All these stated problems are very disturbing. I am waiting on delivery of an order from Arizona Silohutte which will include a gold titanium fountain pen. I am planning on making this pen as a gift for a very special person. A gold cross will be fixed to the clip by a jewler. The wood will be Bethlehem olive. All in all my investment will be fairly substantial. But most importantly, I want the pen to write well. Now I'm concerned that I'll be delivering an attractive clunker to my friend. Not much of a gift if that happens. What do the suppliers, like Bill Baumbeck, say about these problems?

Daniel

Frank,
If the Fountain Pen your are talking about is a CSUSA Kit you stand a far better chance of getting a good nib in my experience. non of the fountain pens from CSUSA have worked well once a good ink cartride was found. I have been using STRATOS cartridges. anyway. make the pen and then test it. if you have problems there is the option of changing out nibs until you get one working good.

B

Bill Baumbeck

I believe the reply made by Russ Fairfield was very well thought out and presented. He touched on every major point related to fountain pen usage. I would urge everyone to go back and review Russ's comments if you wish to successfully make, sell and use fountain pens.

Here is what I've found selling the fountain pen kits offered by Berea, CSUSA and ourselves: Not every 'end user' has the knowledge or experience to make and/or use a fountain pen. This includes both the <u>pen maker</u> and the <u>customer</u>. To the best of my knowledge there are not any design flaws in any of the fountain pens made by the companies I just mentioned. If there were we wouldn't sell them.

The fountain pen maker needs to be knowledgeable with his/her product. If you don't know how to take one apart, how to refill a pump, how to suggest different cleaning methods, how to explain the 'break-in', what inks to use and not use, etc. then you are not holding up your responsibility as a fountain pen maker.

Fountain pens are a whole different ballgame when compared to ballpoint and/or rollerball pens. The way the pen is held and the type of paper that is being used to write on, for example, are very important. If you don't think that you can effectively explain all of what is needed to know to your customer then I would suggest that you stick with ballpoints and rollerballs.

As for a potential fountain pen customer: Some people are aware of what is envolved with the proper 'care and feeding' of this type of writing instrument. If you suspect they don't I would suggest that you direct their attention to a rollerball and/or ballpoint pen.

Someone asked about replacement nibs for the Baron: We will be adding replacement nibs (fine, medium and broad) for the Baron series in the very near future (they are being made now). We will not be offering calligraphy nibs as calligraphy ink is heavier and is not designed for normal fountain pen usage.

To the newbies and undecided's in the group: keep an open mind and try new things. If all of us were to rely upon the 'nay sayers' we'd all still be turning slimlines pens. :&gt;)

Bill Baumbeck
Arizona Silhouette
<u>www.arizonasilhouette.com</u>

"You will never make a difference in this world if you are afraid of making enemies" :&gt;)

woodscavenger

Just to let you all know, about four hours ago I placed an order with BB. He was not home so I mentioned the problems I had with the Baron FP to his better half. About 30 minutes later BB called me at home and basically went through the same discussion he typed above. Not only did it give me some things to think about before selling FPs to people but also reinforced his fantastic customer service. Thanks BB!

arehrlich

Although I'm a long time - 35+ years - fountain pen user, I've only been turning pens for a few months - BB has gotten to know me by now. :)

So far I've made about 4 El Grande pens, three Jr. Gent, a full sized Gent and a couple of Americanas. I have used each of these pens to make sure that they wrote the way I like fountain pens to write. Each of them did. I have to say that my El Grande is about the smoothest FP that I've used - and that includes Monte Blanc; Peliquan; etc.

The Baron that woodscavenger sent me to look at was the first pen kit that I've seen that had a problem. In the middle of writing - after about 2 or 3 full pages, it would quit. After playing with it for a while, it began writing again - very smoothly, I might add.

But again, after a few pages, it stopped again. Same thing. Let it stand for about 10 minutes and it began to write smoothly again.

I believe that there is a problem with this one mechanism. I have not experienced anything like it with any of the other pens that I have made.

Fear not about giving a friend - or selling - any of these fountain pens! They are wonderful writing machines and will do you proud.

The law of averages says that there will be a few problems in any mass produced product. But from what I've seen, the number are low and the potential for success is far greater than that of having a problem.

Turn on - and keep the beauty of the fountain pen alive.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom