Problem with poly glue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Pictured below is part of a gun that has been damaged by Elmer’s Ultimate poly glue.
I installed the thumb plate about two years ago. The poly was used to secure it. I know there was no spilling or leakage for several months afterwards.
The gun has been leaning in a corner unused for about two years. Yesterday I picked it up and noticed the damage shown. Apparently the expanding glue just kept expanding sometime after the first two months.
I’m not happy about this. Not sure what solvents might remove that mess but will start with acetone and experiment from there.
This is another reason why I now stay away from the expanding poly glues.

2006111191940_BB%20glue.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalden

before trying the acetone, you might want to dry DNA- I've had good success using it to clean up Gorilla glue, and I would think it would be a little kinder to the wood.........

Randy_

Frank: Sorry you are having a problem. Don't think this is the time to experiment. Why don't you call or email Elmers and ask them for their recommendation??

bjackman

Frank,
Please post their response. Most of the pens I've made now for the last four years or so have been glued with Elmers Poly glue. I've had good experience with it for the most part. Foams/expands for an hour or two, is mostly set/cured around 6-8 hours and fully cured at 24 hrs. Never seen any movement or foaming after a couple hours.
obviously.....ymmv

edit in: poly is usually quite sandable once fully cured, so you might just be able to sand that section down and try to simulate the finish you have on the rest of the stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom