Pressure pot ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jttheclockman

Hello all. I have not been here lately but have finally been able to start turning the last couple months. Being a new turner I am learning everyday new techniques and things I want to try. I am now wanting to try my hand at some resin turning and embellishments. I was told this was the best place to ask these questions because alot of you use these ideas in pen turning. I have so many questions but will start with some of the basics. I have tried reading over some past posts here but it looks like alot of the discussions are from posts in the distant past. With that said I hope you forgive me for asking some questions that probably been asked 1000 times before. Maybe you can point me in the right direction for answers then. Anyway the thing I want to start with is making tops for bottlestoppers that are encapsulated in resin and I am being told the best thing to avoid bubbles is to use a pressure pot so my question is where can I get a good one, how much, and what are some of the things to look for??? Also where or what brand resin is good to use?? I have looked at many of the pens you people make here and am truely amazed at the creativety and the workmanship that goes into these. This will be another item I want to try. This turning stuff is so addictive my head is racing with things. So any help with products and maybe somewhere I could get instructions as to how to do or use this equipment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the replys.

its_virgil

Look in the library, 2005 and there are 3 or 4 excellent articles on casting polyester resin including where to get it, how to cast it, etc. There is an article on the home page about casting snake skins embedded in polyester resin which includes info on the infamous Harbor Freight Pressure paint pot. Look in the casting forum for recent info on the paint pot. There may be other articles in the library from 2004 or 2006 re: polyester resin casting. Go to http://www.penmakersguild.com for another couple of articles on casting resin for pen blanks. The two main sources for polyester resin would be http://www.artstuf.com or http://www.mrfiberglass.com . I use the resin from the latter source...it is cheaper and I find there to be no difference in the final product. Others may disagree.

Michaels sells it but it is expensive there. 50% off coupons are available from their web site or the Sunday paper and you can get a quart for about $12. Use this to see if you want to order more...there is a shelf life on resin.

Look in the casting forum. Several use other types of resin such as epoxy, polyurathane or alumalite. Lots of info is available. Poyester resin casting has been on of our more popular topics this past year.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jttheclockman
<br />Hello all. I have not been here lately but have finally been able to start turning the last couple months. Being a new turner I am learning everyday new techniques and things I want to try. I am now wanting to try my hand at some resin turning and embellishments. I was told this was the best place to ask these questions because alot of you use these ideas in pen turning. I have so many questions but will start with some of the basics. I have tried reading over some past posts here but it looks like alot of the discussions are from posts in the distant past. With that said I hope you forgive me for asking some questions that probably been asked 1000 times before. Maybe you can point me in the right direction for answers then. Anyway the thing I want to start with is making tops for bottlestoppers that are encapsulated in resin and I am being told the best thing to avoid bubbles is to use a pressure pot so my question is where can I get a good one, how much, and what are some of the things to look for??? Also where or what brand resin is good to use?? I have looked at many of the pens you people make here and am truely amazed at the creativety and the workmanship that goes into these. This will be another item I want to try. This turning stuff is so addictive my head is racing with things. So any help with products and maybe somewhere I could get instructions as to how to do or use this equipment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom