Pressure Pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am posting this in hopes to helping the pros as well as those who want to venture down the road of casting their own blanks and buying a pressure pot. Now let me start by saying I have been casting my own blanks since I started making pens over 15 years ago. At that time many casters here touted the Harbor Freight casting pot and modifying it to fit our needs. It did not come with all things needed to turn it into a casting pot so we had to buy them. With that said it has served me well and is still in operation. But as I get older so does that pot. I am not as confident in their construction as I was back some time ago and just read down a few threads here and you will see an example.

So a few days ago someone posted they bought a California Air Tool casting pressure pot from Amazon. Now I got interested and started thinking I want to get one that is well built and good quality so I can safely continue my casting. I chose the 2-1/2 gal model because that is all I ever used and need. I am not a production caster and sell blanks so it works well for me. Well after putting it through it test run, I have to give my opinion. Why did I not do this sooner I asked myself? Have to say this pot is well made with the large non slip hold down clamps that are twice the thickness as the HF so no need to worry about stripping them. No need to worry about them slipping off the brackets that hold the lid down. The pot comes with all the adapters needed to just start adding air and casting. It is heavy duty and stainless inside so easy cleanup. Same depth as HF and I can use my racks as I have in the other one. My point with this review I highly recommend anyone that is thinking of upgrading or just getting involved with casting that they should by all means play it safe and get a unit from this company. there are a few others out there that are more expensive but I see no need to go that route. These are more expensive than HF but you get peace of mind when you start adding air to that chamber. I know I am going to feel more confident now. Happy Casting. Amazon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

The California Air Tools pot is the one I bought when I decided to dip my toes into casting. I agree with John's thoughts on this pot. It is very well made, all I'll ever need.

cGiroux

Good evening from St-Isidore Ontario, CDN,

I am new to this interesting hobby, and first wish to be safe in doing that hobby as I wish to hold and enjoy my grandkids for a long time coming. Although and with great respect to many that are going the HF route (here in CDN its Princess Auto), I welcome John's comments and wisdoms in guiding me in the choice of pressure pot that will be secure to use. Thank you John.

jttheclockman

I must add this to my report and that is no matter what pot you buy, always read the specs on that pot and do not over pressurize it. This pot I got is rated for 80lbs but they recommend not to go over 60 which is the safe zone. For me this is perfect. I see no reason for any casting we do to have to go over 60 lbs. I have been casting between 55 and 60 for my entire casting years and have great results. As I said this unit is perfect for me. I can not speak of the larger pots but they are all made with great care and thought out process.

Velcrodog

I am posting this in hopes to helping the pros as well as those who want to venture down the road of casting their own blanks and buying a pressure pot. Now let me start by saying I have been casting my own blanks since I started making pens over 15 years ago. At that time many casters here touted the Harbor Freight casting pot and modifying it to fit our needs. It did not come with all things needed to turn it into a casting pot so we had to buy them. With that said it has served me well and is still in operation. But as I get older so does that pot. I am not as confident in their construction as I was back some time ago and just read down a few threads here and you will see an example.

So a few days ago someone posted they bought a California Air Tool casting pressure pot from Amazon. Now I got interested and started thinking I want to get one that is well built and good quality so I can safely continue my casting. I chose the 2-1/2 gal model because that is all I ever used and need. I am not a production caster and sell blanks so it works well for me. Well after putting it through it test run, I have to give my opinion. Why did I not do this sooner I asked myself? Have to say this pot is well made with the large non slip hold down clamps that are twice the thickness as the HF so no need to worry about stripping them. No need to worry about them slipping off the brackets that hold the lid down. The pot comes with all the adapters needed to just start adding air and casting. It is heavy duty and stainless inside so easy cleanup. Same depth as HF and I can use my racks as I have in the other one. My point with this review I highly recommend anyone that is thinking of upgrading or just getting involved with casting that they should by all means play it safe and get a unit from this company. there are a few others out there that are more expensive but I see no need to go that route. These are more expensive than HF but you get peace of mind when you start adding air to that chamber. I know I am going to feel more confident now. Happy Casting. Amazon.
My wife bought me a Cal pressure pot for my birthday a year ago but haven't taken it out of the box yet as I am just getting ready to start casting. Thanks for the information about the pot. I am looking forward to working with it.

egnald

I agree with John completely. My California Air Tools pressure pot just plain worked. They even put a fitting on the inside of the lid that directs the airflow across the top and down the sides of the pot as to not disturb the resin in the mold.

I did embellish mine slightly however.

1) I put a blue arrow up on the pot and down on the lid to match up so I don't get things turned around when I take the lid off and put it back on.

2) I wrapped the bottom of the pot with some of that black toolbox liner, just cut a big belt and taped it together with black Gorilla Tape. Just to keep the wingnuts and washers from dinging the paint up when I oops and drop them.

3) Not really a mod to the pot, but I did buy an inline desiccant filter to put inline with the inlet. Although I haven't had any problems (yet), I prefer to take out the insurance of reducing the chance of moisture entering the pot from my air supply.

Dave

derekdd

Yeah, after looking at the videos on YT for converting the HF pot and seeing them in person, I waited until the California Air Tool version went on sale and picked one up.

Superior construction but it is definitely more $.

jttheclockman

Yeah, after looking at the videos on YT for converting the HF pot and seeing them in person, I waited until the California Air Tool version went on sale and picked one up.

Superior construction but it is definitely more $.
But here is a case that more $$ pays off in the long run for sure.

derekdd

But here is a case that more $$ pays off in the long run for sure.
Agreed.

There are a number of things I buy at HF. Some guys think everything they sell is junk.

While I don't share that opinion, I do think you have to be selective about what you purchase, particularly if it's something that gets heavy use like a pressure pot.

jttheclockman

Agreed.

There are a number of things I buy at HF. Some guys think everything they sell is junk.

While I don't share that opinion, I do think you have to be selective about what you purchase, particularly if it's something that gets heavy use like a pressure pot.
I buy alot of things from HF except anything with a motor. Tie wraps by the bag are cheap I just bought not long ago a mechanics creeper stool. Tarps are real cheap and as I was working on my house they came in handy. As well as their moving blankets that they have on sale many times.

jttheclockman

My wife got the California Air Tools pot when she started casting. One suggestion I would make is to grab a silicone mat like this one. It sits int he bottom of the pot and both catches any drips but also give you alittle bit of a cushion when loading stuff in to the pot.
I was just on Amazon buying some squeeze bottles for all my bushings and also picked up a set of those place mats. Good idea. Thanks for the link. That is what this site is all about. Sharing.

PreacherJon

I'm so glad you made this report. Kinda scared me with the last post. LOL Like I shared before I've got 700 lbs of Maple burl I'm going to be cutting up... and I know I'm going to need to fill some voids along the way. Especially if I'm going to do some vases. I'll figure out how to make some Mutt blanks with the cut-offs late down the line.

Top Bottom