Pressure pot recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DigBaddy72

I know this has been asked before, and I've looked over older threads but not seeing anything current.

I am wondering if anyone has pressure pot recommendations for casting blanks? I don't want to have to make any kind of mechanical changes to the pot if I can avoid that.

Has anyone used or have an opinion on this one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

I have one that looks identical, but I bought it from Harbor Freight. Cheaper at $99 and they always send out 20% off coupons. I've had no issues with it so far.

FGarbrecht

I can't comment on the pot you linked to, but pretty much any pressure pot sold for paint spraying is going to need some mechanical modification; at the very least you will have to remove the paint siphone tube and close the opening. This is not a big deal in that its not hard to do generally but if you want to completely avoid modification you should look for a pot that is designed and sold specifically for pressure casting of resin.

I modified the HF pot and it wasn't too hard. You do have to go over ALL the threaded connections and use threadlocker to avoid pressure leaks. There are plenty of good you-tube videos available on how to modify the HF pot. It takes 15 minutes to do the modifications and then 2 or 3 days to find and seal all the leaks.

Dieseldoc

One you have shown is some what like the HF which has a alum cover, and is prone to warp due to over tighting the cover hold down's that also strip out. Best safest is the TCP commerical in 2.5 or 5 gal pot. That is what I have and it is flawess in performance. It's make of steel with much better hold down system that does,t strip out. Will hold pressure for several days.

jttheclockman

If you are just getting into casting with a pressure pot, please take the time and do the searches here and actually read threads that deal with casting with pressure. Even though threads are old they still hold true today. It could save your life or at least a total mess. This is one area that is dangerous if you have no idea what you are doing. HF and all the look alikes have flaws, from broken latches to leaky gaskets to pressure regulators not working. There are plenty of utube videos on how to set them up properly. There are articles in the library here that explain things. I am not being disrespectful but just being cautious. We give advice many times on forums and we have no idea of skill levels of people asking. Yes everyone and their brother is casting blanks today and that is scarey in itself but if proper procedure is followed it is rewarding.

With all that said the best pressure pots on the market are. devilbiss and binks . They are pricey but worth the value. You can find them on Craigs list and other places. Follow the recommendations on the pot and do not overfill. I cast at 45lbs and have no failures. Pot is rated at 80lbs. I use a older HF pot and reworked it. When first getting pot run some vaseline on the gasket. When locking down always lock the handles down like putting a wheel on a car. Stagger your tightening sequence. little on each till you get tight and then opposite clamps. If you have a leak proof pot no need to leave compressor hooked up. Run a test before casting and time it. I like to leave casting in 24 hours. Keep pot clean and always inspect those clamps. Good luck.

howsitwork

Very sound advice John. a pressure pot , under pressure is basically a bomb full of compressed air if it fails rapidly.

It can however also be used as a vacuum pot again if safety precautions are followed.

JamesM

I keep seeing or hearing people talk about how dangerous pressure pots are. I have looked all over internet trying to find any proof of a paint pressure pot killing or injuring anyone. Only thing I come across are stories of people getting hurt or killed, they heard from someone that knew someone that seen someone else get injured or killed, but never any first hand knowledge. I don't see any news articles of an injury or death by one either. I am not saying no one has been injured or killed by one, but I am saying are they really as dangerous as people make them out to be. just because it is under pressure doesnt mean shrapnel will be thrown in all directions. I have seen videos of people shooting off valves and shooting high pressure tanks etc.. but they do not explode, just from my knowledge of what I have seen. could a fitting fly off? sure but I would love to see any evidence picture article or video supporting it injuring anyone muchless killing. You can find plenty of stories of a heated cooking pressure pot injuring someone or even kill someone. But these are 2 totally different things. I am by no means an expert or saying no one could be injured or killed. I am simply saying I have found no direct evidence supporting these claims.

If anyone has had better luck than me in this endeavor to find proof of it happening, please point me in the right direction. I have read in these forums and others of a few people saying a fitting blew off there tanks but nothing showing any damage it did.

So is it possible they are not nearly as dangerous as they are made out to be through hand me down information, or myths?

If they are dangerous how dangerous? More dangerous than roller blading, or working with any other tool in ur workshop, riding motorcycles, or driving a car? I just find it odd to have very limited information on something that is supposed to be very dangerous, considering how many people actually have paint pressure pots. I am not trying to make anyone less cautious nor make an argument. I Believe all tools or hobbies can be dangerous, and should be respected and always safety first. This is just something I have been looking into past few weeks as I am looking to get one for painting projects as well as pressure casting pen blanks.

I am trying to be better informed before I make a purchasing decision on going cheap as in hf, to use money elsewhere in shop, or going more expensive because they are as dangerous as people want to make them out to be.

Top Bottom