Pressure pot location

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTurnerJohn

Lastly, I always leave the compressor attached - never longer than maybe 30-40 minutes. I've been doing this for a considerable time now and hundreds of castings, from snakeskins to wood. The resin seems to always go to a gel state in from 10-20 minutes - and when removed from the pot after 30-40 minutes, it is totally set - not hard as a rock, but set. I then remove it and take it inside to finish the curing state. I normally remove the castings from the molds in 2 or three hours. They still feel a bit "sticky", but I let them set overnight. Then I saw them, drill and get down th road.

Does it matter if the pressure pot is located outside [fresh air - as in a garage] or inside [as in a basement workshop - like mine]?

John
Olathe KS

jthompson1995

I think he may take his equipment outside for increased ventilation as I understand casting resins don't smell very nice. I don't think it make any difference for the compressor or pressure pot where it is located. But I could be wrong.

its_virgil

Location does not matter. Ambient temperature does. When the ambient temp reaches 90*F and hotter, my AC is turned on if I'm casting. PR sets because of heat generated by the catalyst. I've had snake skins totally disappear (vaporize I guess) because of heat.

I know Jay very well and Jay has excellent results. When casting (snake skins) Jay casts two tubes per mold using 5 or 6 drops of catalyst per ounce. Other castings (non skin) are done in the same mold. His casting jell quickly. When I cast snake skins I cast tubes for 6 or 7 pens per mold and I use 3 drops of catalyst per ounce. I'm casting 14-16 ounces of resin. When I do not skin castings I use the same larger molds. My larger volume castings take 2 hours to jell and I leave them in the pressure pot overnight although the resin is probably hard in 4 hours...jelling and hardening is controlled by the heat and the heat is a function of the amount of catalyst. All of this info is important. Casting small amounts is not exactly the same as casting larger amounts. Iattach the air hose to the tank and leave it. Pressure is adjusted at the compressor. PR casting has improved greatly among penturners in the last couple of years and getting better each time someone casts and discovers a new technique and is willing to share the findings. Happy casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by PenTurnerJohn
<br />
Lastly, I always leave the compressor attached - never longer than maybe 30-40 minutes. I've been doing this for a considerable time now and hundreds of castings, from snakeskins to wood. The resin seems to always go to a gel state in from 10-20 minutes - and when removed from the pot after 30-40 minutes, it is totally set - not hard as a rock, but set. I then remove it and take it inside to finish the curing state. I normally remove the castings from the molds in 2 or three hours. They still feel a bit "sticky", but I let them set overnight. Then I saw them, drill and get down th road.

Does it matter if the pressure pot is located outside [fresh air - as in a garage] or inside [as in a basement workshop - like mine]?

John
Olathe KS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom