Pressure cooker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

This was much cussed and discussed a couple years ago.
Some claim that you can't vacuum with one because they are built for pressure. I was never sure how that (il?)logic worked. Others say no for pressure or vacuum. But, these were often the same folks who did pressure/vacuum stabilizing in glass jugs. Go figger.
Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about using one as long as about 25-30 inches was not exceeded.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I think it will be fine for vacuum but PLEASE do not use it for pressure. There is a fellow on a casting forum that I used to frequent who was severly injured by a pressure cooker exploding while pressure casting. As Frank says, if you can vacuum in a pickle jar, I sure would think a pressure cooker would work. I do not, however, know anyone that is sane that uses a pickle jar for pressure.

ctwxlvr

Pressure cookers are only good for a max of 15psi pressure, they have a build in safety valve that blows out at this pressure and will send all the contents inside all over the place as my grand mother knows.. 6 months later she was still cleaning green beans off the kitchen walls.

Randy_

Pressure cookers are not designed for the pressures that most folks use for casting. Should any of the over-pressure safety devices fail you could be looking at a dangerous accident.

Pressure cookers are designed to contain pressure, not exclude it. Given the way many units are designed, it is very possible their seals would not hold a vacuum. I don't think this would create a dangerous situation; but you might not get the result you desire.

Stick with the Harbor Freight paint pot. When they are on sale, they are no more expensive than a good pressure cooker, anyway.

Fred

Have you ever tried to count the millions upon millions of fragments that come from a glass jar that has been pressurised and it failed? I am sure if you can imagine what damage is caused by a grenade exploding in your face then you should be able to picture in your mind what a glass jar would be like. Vacuum is one thing, but pressurizing it ain't for me! Stick to the proper equipment and be safe and turn longer! [;)]

Darley

Non! only for pressurised I did one about 2 years ago, I think it make the start to the paint pot and pressurise casting, did have a good talk with Don ward at the time about PR and recomend me caution, well it work well for me and still does on small test, never the less I do have a HF paint pot Don find it for me and use for big batch, people here make it more versatile ( press-/- vacc )awesome.

This is my first casting dated 23rd December 2005, since Don perfect it with the cork end who is much better I was using potato at the time [:D], first Australian sea snake Baron, PITH 2005, guess who got it[;)]
2007105115444_casting6.jpg
<br />

This is my pressure cooker ( note that is in a wooden frame )left one night in the work shop conected to the compressor next morning he was at 60 psi and puffed like a ballon ball tap was an answer, it can be done but like Don told me please be carreful, if you wanrt do a search on this site I think I post something early 2006

200710511563_PR%20Pressure%20pot.jpg
<br />

2007105115648_PR%20Pressure%20pot3.jpg
<br />

2007105115728_PR%20Pressure%20pot4.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom