Press Perfect Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Hello all,

I don't know what is wrong with me, but for some reason I am compelled to spend $25 bucks on a new PSI jig. It is essentially a physical stop jig for pressing Cross style transmissions in to the perfect position. They even call it the "Press Perfect Jig for 7mm Mechanisms". I don't even turn that many Slimline, Designer, or other 7mm cross pen kits. I also have made several types of jigs to do this already including a wooden one that is remarkably similar to the machined one that PSI sells. Link: Press Perfect Jig for 7mm Mechanisms.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Seems like a simple enough jig to make yourself. Even with wood, you could give some resilience to it by embedding some kind of dimpled piece of metal or maybe delrin where the tip of the pen goes. Save the $29 and buy a nice pen kit, or a really nice exotic blank of some kind. ;)

howsitwork

Dave

what you need is some kind therapy, select a nice chocolate bar and a coffee and peruse the craft supplies catalogue for about 15 minutes. Treat yourself to a nice gouge or a new skew chisel, possibly a piece of drill rod to grind up to make a round skew if you want to scratch two itches at one time. You can then sit back, reflect on how much you've saved and anticipate the packages arriving whilst finishing the coffee , or even having another biscuit to assist digesting the news ?

works for me 😉

Ian

egnald

Watch this video from Mark Dreyer and save your money.

Thanks for the video link Harry. One of the Slimline assembly tools that I made a couple of years ago is based on the bolt that Mark Dreyer used in this video. The tool I made performs both critical functions. First pressing the transmission in to a fixed depth regardless of tube length. And finally, protects the transmission from being pressed in any farther when the tip is being pressed in.

The tool consists of a plastic blank/handle that has a 1/4-inch blind hole drilled into it. The hole has a Neodymium magnet pressed down into to the bottom of it. The magnet holds a piece of "D" Drill Rod that was cut and sanded so that it extends out of the handle the exact distance needed for the positive stop when pressing in the transmission.

For use, the transmission is pressed in first using the whole tool to provide a positive stop - kind of like the bolt in the video. Then the Drill Rod is pulled out and the hole in the handle is slipped over the transmission to protect it while the tip is pressed in - similar to using the top/cap section of the pen as shown in the video.

I have made a few and have given some away to some of the Slimline makers on IAP in the past. It is still the tool and method that I use today for assembling Slimline, Designer/Euro, and Dayacom Cigarillo kits.

Dave

IMG_1491 Cropped.jpg IMG_1492 Cropped.jpg

egnald

Dave

what you need is some kind therapy, select a nice chocolate bar and a coffee and peruse the craft supplies catalogue for about 15 minutes. Treat yourself to a nice gouge or a new skew chisel, possibly a piece of drill rod to grind up to make a round skew if you want to scratch two itches at one time. You can then sit back, reflect on how much you've saved and anticipate the packages arriving whilst finishing the coffee , or even having another biscuit to assist digesting the news ?

works for me 😉

Ian
Thanks for your post Ian. it certainly raised my spirits. Unfortunately one can not get a good Flat White and a Cadbury Flake or Bournville here in the US. I'm sure they would do wonders for me right now. - Dave

howsitwork

Thanks for your post Ian. it certainly raised my spirits. Unfortunately one can not get a good Flat White and a Cadbury Flake or Bournville here in the US. I'm sure they would do wonders for me right now. - Dave
Dave

I know having visited the states a few times how difficult it is to get decent Cadbury's out there. There are murmurs of revolution over here as Kraft have announced they are changing the recipe . Not sure about dark chocolate I don5 think they're touching that one.

Don't get me started on the reduction in size of cadbury chocolate eggs ( fondant filled ) and pack sizes . Who on earth only buys a pack of 5 eggs !!!

mind you you are chatting to a man who bought a pa k of 48 because the wholesaler wouldn't sell him a 6 pack at the time 🤫

Top Bottom