Press and Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I was watching a video today and the gentleman said he glues all his pen parts in addition to pressing them into the pen. His concern is so they don't come back having come apart. I'm wondering how common it is to both glue and press and how common it is for pens to come apart when their just pressed. Mine have been pressed only and I've never had one come back. I've had to refinish a pen and was glad I could disassemble it easily.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

I've never had any come apart. I did have one where the fitting slipped out a small amount--there was maybe a 1mm, or slightly less, gap between the fitting and the body that wasn't there when I put the pen together. Those were both pens that I'd kept for myself. Never had one come back from a customer that way, but I sure hope it hasn't happened.

1080Wayne

Manufacturing tolerances can create a situation where a tube ID is at its maximum and a nib or other insert is at its minimum OD . The insert manufacturer would know those tolerances , and should have designed their inserts to work in the worst case scenario , but the best laid plans sometimes go astray .

I`ve had instances where I could insert a nib or finial just by pressing it in with my thumb . Those situations demand some glue help . Another one that can catch you after a significant time lapse , is a finial becoming loose due to the leveraging action of flexing the clip as it is put into and taken out of a pocket . Those movements may only in the range of 0.001 inch , but they will add up .

I use red Loctite on any parts that I`m concerned about . Others use blue Loctite , which is easier to remove if something goes wrong . And of course , sometimes it is wise to deliberately ream out a tube to accommodate very easy insert installation if the wood is prone to splitting , in which case epoxy may be the glue of choice .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have a collection of pens (hundreds) left over from "show days" about a decade ago. None have been used or left my possession. Several have come apart at the junctions.

When I did shows, it was rare to have one returned, but it did happen. I believe a couple drops of loctite can avoid this---you can do whatever makes you more comfortable.

JohnU

Like Ed said, I always put a small drop of blue Loctite in the fittings. Especially around the edge of the pocket clip where the finial touches it. I don't want it spin and put a groove in the pen barrel. Now that the Diamond Knurl has the nib that unscrews to replace the ink, I even put a little on the transmission threads so the pen recipient doesn't unscrew the nib from the pen, leaving the transmission up inside the body, only to push it farther up there when trying to reassemble. That's mostly what I've had to fix on the other Sierra pens.

WriteON

I only apply if I do not trust the press fit. If I feel it's not tight enough I'll remove & add glue. Nothing wrong with adding glue each and every time if the turner wants to…. But I would not like to do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom