PR vs. Alumilite...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grub32

I have a question...which turns better?? I have been doing some acrylics from woodcraft (they are close) and I really like the exceptional quality of the finish of those pieces of plastic. Which is the closest to the acrylics that come from woodcraft? I am waiting for my molds and want to know which I should be investing in for the future.

Thanks,

Grub32

ps- You guys are very inspiring here....you help me spend money better than anyone :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SuperDave

For me, if I can reduce the number of steps to achieve the desired results, I will.

Acrylic polishes to a much higher gloss than Alumilite, without any additional efforts, such as CA. If a high gloss finish without any additional enhancements is your primary desire, Acrylic (PR) is hard to beat. It does take longer to turn.

Alumilite turns like butter compared to Acrylic but a high gloss is hard to achieve without other surface enhancements, such as CA. Even then, the surface can be glossy but the depth of clarity is not as "brilliant" as with PR when casting clear over something like a Snake Skin. If ease of turning is your primary desire, Alumilite is hard to beat.

These are just my experiences. Others may have different results.

Dave

Jarheaded

I use Alumilite for everything, but I still have a ton of PR blanks too. They are very different like Dave said. I find that the Alumilite is easy to turn with less chances of a blow out and is easy as can be to cast anything you want. I am starting to mix colors for blanks and am finding that to be pretty easy if you are organized. The main thing that I like about the Alumilite is that I can use it anytime, anyplace without everyone running out of the house for oxygen. There is almost no smell to it and I usually make a batch right before dinner and noone even knows. The deciding factor for me was the customer service that I got when some things weren't working out for me. I called the company and they had actual users answering my questions and did find a cure for my issues. I only use micro mesh and hut plastic polish or novus polish to get a great shine..Basically, if I was buying blanks it wouldn't matter to me which one I bought, but for making my own blanks, I will stick with the Alumilite. That is just my opinion though.

Neodon1

Hey, I like Alumilite for a couple of reasons.
First it's fast, and I mean fast. Cast and turn
in less than an hour(nice).
Second I'm married with children (help me, please)
and I'm already in the doghouse for all the money
I spend on this stuff so " no smell and all's well".

I buff my blanks on the lathe with plastic polish from
PSI after wet sanding to 12000.
I get an almost crystal clear finish.

But I could have hit on it right there its almost crystal clear
not 100% but I have pretty high pen standards and Alumilite
seems to be it for now. I will however try some PR with the same kit
to compare. This was my first cast and it went well and no wife YELL.

Ok Honey ill stop turning, (fingers crossed)

Neodon

Originally posted by SteveCzar

One thing to remember is a PR pen will allways smell like PR where as Alumilite have no odor or taste after it is hard.

Maybe it's my PR(Silmar 41 & 249), but to me the smell is like a memory from my youth, Revell airplane models and Testors tubes of glue. I swear it smells the same. Er, not that I was sniffing glue in the 60's mind you.

After the PR is cured it doesn't have any smell.

karlkuehn

Banned
I prefer PR for the finish, seems to go a little 'deeper', but Alumilite is nice for casting and turning, as long as you're not trying to stabilize the wood with it.

They both have good and bad points, but overall, I'm a PR guy. With a stinky shop most days. heh [:p]

Top Bottom