PR price per galon and source. Which one ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

Has any of you used this different PR. I would not like to get a whole galon of the wrong or less than desireable PR. Why is the one from artstuf.com so much more?
I just went to Mr Fiberglas and see 2 kinds that seem suitable far what we do.
A) B440 Premium Polyester Resin.$29.12
This is our premium quality Polyester resin. It has all of the desirable characteristics plus it's very workable up until the final stages of cure.

B)Silmar 41 Clear Casting Polyester Resin. $30.94
Used for thick castings that need to be water clear. Not to be used in laminating. The amount of curing agent is critical depending on mass of the casting and should be determined with experimentation.

Then Art Stuf.Com have a ton of things. Their 1 galon of clear casting resin is $43
Thanks
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

When I was checking out the Mr Fiberglass site a while back, they had the same Simlar 41 listed in different pages for two different prices. I was told I would get the cheaper of the two. IMO, I would get the stuff from Mr Fiberglass. If you want to pay more, get the Alumalite, but I think it is about 50% more expensive. It sure feels different when cured though. (the Alumalite)

Resin varies also by reseller a lot. The Cast N Craft stuff is like $15 a quart from many places and can run up to $50 a gallon.

Best bet is to try and get a smal sample size and see what you like. Just as in any other hobby, you have to normally try a few different things before you find something that works well for you.

its_virgil

If you are talking about Composite One in the Hurst area, they tell me they no longer have it...have not reordered...bla bla bla. The resin they sell is Silmar 51 Clear. I've called them three times since your first post about them several months ago. When did you last buy from them? They were willing to sell me a tanker full but my wife would not let me park a tank trailer in my driveway[:D] Any guidance would be appreciated.

From what I have been told by the various sources I've searched out is that Silmar 41 is a sold by several outlets who just put their label on the gallon or quart cans. I once purchased from artstuf.com but their price got too high. The last 15 gallons I've purchased have been from mrfiberglass and I've had no problems. The tint and dye selection from mrfiberglass is sparce. I still get dyes and pigments from artstuf.com (but I don't do much casting other thatn snake skins).

Do a good turn dailyu!
Don
Originally posted by mrplace
<br />I get the Silmar 41 for $123 (last price I paid)for 5 gallons through a local distributor.

mrplace

Don, I haven't bought none lately. I have had other things on the plate besides casting.

There is another place in North Dallas, I think, that I had talked to and was about the same price. I just went ith Composite One because I am in Euless.

I will look in my business cards when I get to work tomorrow and let you know.

its_virgil

Thanks. I'm in the DFW area quite often and would like to be able to pick it up and save the shipping.
Don
Originally posted by mrplace
<br />Don, I haven't bought none lately. I have had other things on the plate besides casting.

There is another place in North Dallas, I think, that I had talked to and was about the same price. I just went ith Composite One because I am in Euless.

I will look in my business cards when I get to work tomorrow and let you know.

OKLAHOMAN

Don the last I bought from Composites One was in November and they told me the same thing (No longer have etc) I spoke with one of the sales reps and he said that they had a product that took the place of silmar 41 called swing resin #ccpdx040-6005 swing resin. I bought 5 gals. at $2.87 lb = 45 lbs for 5 gals. total $129.47 and one quart of mek @$6.40 for a total of $135.87 plus tx of $11.21 . I have been very happy with the results. Cast clear and turns good. I will E-mail you a copy of my bill if you want so you would have the right info to give the girl at the order desk. I spoke with a Lucille Wellborn. BTW a quart of MEK will last half a livetime.

its_virgil

Thanks Roy. I called them in early Nov and they told me they were replacing Silmar 41 with another product. I called in mid January and no one knew what was going on. So, with the correct info I can call them intelligently....well almost intelligently.[:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN
<br />Don the last I bought from Composites One was in November and they told me the same thing (No longer have etc) I spoke with one of the sales reps and he said that they had a product that took the place of silmar 41 called swing resin #ccpdx040-6005 swing resin. I bought 5 gals. at $2.87 lb = 45 lbs for 5 gals. total $129.47 and one quart of mek @$6.40 for a total of $135.87 plus tx of $11.21 . I have been very happy with the results. Cast clear and turns good. I will E-mail you a copy of my bill if you want so you would have the right info to give the girl at the order desk. I spoke with a Lucille Wellborn. BTW a quart of MEK will last half a livetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom