PR mixing questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
What brand of disposable cup do you use to mix the PR in? (I was using a K-Mart plastic cup and it melted)

As a general rule, how many drops of hardner do you use per ounce of resin?

Question for Draken:
Do you have a link for the master kit that you showed us at your house?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

winpooh498

Scott,
We use the Solo brand cups from the dollar store for small pours. You have to mix fairly fast or else they do melt even before you add the hardener. For bigger pours we use milk jugs that we cut open, no problems so far with those melting.
We add about 3-4 drops of hardener per oz of resin.

Good luck!
Dawn

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I DO NOT use PR but I do a lot of Alumilite. When doing small batches I use paper Dixie cups that I buy in bulk at Sam's Club. When I am mixing larger batches of Alumilite, I use the plastic painter's mixing cups from Lowes and then rinse them out with Acetone to re-use them. Acetone will not affect the plastic in them so I assume PR would not either but can not say for sure.

Draken

I use paper cups, and have no problems at all. Did you watch the casting demo my BIL Jimmy did at the picnic? He used the paper cups as well. After several gallons of PR, the paper cups have never given us any problems, they are cheap, and less plastic to throw away when finished.

Originally posted by Draken
<br />I use paper cups, and have no problems at all. Did you watch the casting demo my BIL Jimmy did at the picnic? He used the paper cups as well. After several gallons of PR, the paper cups have never given us any problems, they are cheap, and less plastic to throw away when finished.

Thanks. How about the other two questions? [?] [:D]

its_virgil

I use 3 drops per ounce and it works fine for me and the blanks turn really nicely, if I must say so myself. I cast using the silicone rubber molds that were sold here on IAP. I leave them in my pressure tank overnight and they are always nice and hard the next morning. I usually cast at night and just leave the till morning. I think they are fine after 4 or 5 hours. The top surface exposed to the air will be a little sticky but this is normal, at least for me.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />
<br />I use paper cups, and have no problems at all. Did you watch the casting demo my BIL Jimmy did at the picnic? He used the paper cups as well. After several gallons of PR, the paper cups have never given us any problems, they are cheap, and less plastic to throw away when finished.

Draken

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />

[:I] Glossed over the rest of the post when I had an answer to the first part.... Sorry about that. The number of drops I use varies. I used to use 7 or so per ounce, but have reduced it down to 3 or 4 as sometimes the blanks would cure too fast and be a bit brittle. The fewer drops take longer, but are a bit more forgiving. It also will vary a bit with the colors used. I had some red and black swirled that were still bendable a full week after all the other colors were totally solid.

As for the Master Pigment Master Set (label from box), I can no longer find it listed on the artstuf.com website, nor can I find it in google. You could try calling them up to see if they still have it, or would be willing to make one up for you. I recall it being in the neighborhood of $120 before S&H.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom